Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge for obtaining credit report after denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charge for obtaining credit report after denial

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. I was recently turned down for a credit account based on a report fro, Equifax, figured I would be due to baddies from bankruptcy but that was okay. So I wrote Equifax to get a copy of the report they provided. Yesterday I received a letter saying my file and many in my area (Kentucky) is owned by CSC Credit Services who provide information to Equifax and I would have to pay $11.00 for  a copy of the report. I am attempting to clean up baddies and would like  a more recent copy of my report from Equifax. According to the denial letter and from what I understand the CRA has to provide a free report after credit denial.

Has anyone else ever encountered this with a CRA, tempted to send them a letter stating they are in violation of federal law no to provide and I will be following up with  my states AG and federal regulators if they fail to comply. Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ceejx
Established Contributor

Re: Charge for obtaining credit report after denial

If you go to the CSC Credit website and click on 'Consumer Assistance' on the left hand side then click on 'Order Personal Credit Report' then click on "Click FCRA credit report to initiate a request for your credit report under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA.)" you can fill out the form and get your report right there... Chose "Denied Credit'' radio button for the reason

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Charge for obtaining credit report after denial

A denial of credit is an "adverse action," and is covered by FCRA 615(a), which requires the creditor's denial notice to advise the consumer of the right to obtain a free credit report from the CRA identified in the notice.

Section 612(b) mandates that the CRA must provide the free copy if the consumer submits the denial letter to them withing 60 days.

Their affiliated CRA is bound by that statute as the agent of the CRA that provided the credit report.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.