Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge off

tag
littlemommy928
Established Member

Charge off

If something is charged off, shouldn't the balance be 0 on my credit report for that item?  I have a BOA charge off and it is showing a past due balance and total balance, however under current status it says charged off.  Is this calculated in my UTL?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving..I am thankful for these forums!

Heather
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
littlemommy928
Established Member

Re: Charge off

Bump
Message 2 of 7
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I believe it can report a balance until they sell it to a collection agency. Then it should report a 0 balance.
Here we go again...
Message 3 of 7
MeganML84
Frequent Contributor

I believe it will report a balance until it is paid or it is sent to collections, which in that case it should say 0 balance, but then there will be a balance owed to the collection agency. Does that make sense?

You still owe the debt, they are basically just selling it around.
Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does - except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age... but only if the grapes were good in the first place.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The balance may or may not count against utilization, depending on how it is reported. If it is reported as a delinquent revolving account, it does, if it's a straight charge-off, it does not.
Message 5 of 7
littlemommy928
Established Member

It has been sold because I tried to call them to make payment and they said they no longer help the account.  Whoever owns the account has not reported.  Since it is sold, can i dispute the balance?
Message 6 of 7
MeganML84
Frequent Contributor

You can try...no guarantees though. Not too sure with the specifics, maybe someone more knowledgable will post.

Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does - except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age... but only if the grapes were good in the first place.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.