Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged-off account verified even after Chapter 7 discharge

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charged-off account verified even after Chapter 7 discharge

I've read a lot of great info about removing inaccurate data, but this is a little different.  I had a Chapter 7 filing where all of my debts were discharged, but one Bank of America cc may not have been listed in my paperwork.  I disputed it online and it came back as verified.  I have my C7 filing paperwork, but  it isn't listed there for some reason.  Am I stuck with it for 7 years?  There is no logical reason it would have been excluded from my discharge if it had been listed in my filing.

Thanks!  This is a wonderful forum.

Andy
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Charged-off account verified even after Chapter 7 discharge

Bump
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi andy,  keep bumping...you need someone to answer that knows about BK

good luck
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confirm if it was or was not on your BK paperwork - your post isn't clear on this point. If it was, then contact BoA directly to discuss. If you have disputed and it still isn't being reported correctly, that should be your next step. And, my experience is even if it's included in your BK, charge-off may still be reported - though with the additional note IIB.

Charge-off is an accounting term and technically, everything on your BK is a charge-off... I don't think it makes a big difference to your score; charge-off and IIB are both bad. Someone else here no doubt will have a better idea or more info.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.  It should have been on my paperwork but I can't find it there.  I had a lot of accounts and an attorney did the filing for me, so it took a while to realize the mistake.  Actually, I think there is a BK procedure that would allow me to petition the BK judge to include it in my discharged Chapter 7 case filings even though some years have passed -- there's a question for an attorney if it gets that far. 

Anyway, I naively disputed it online a year ago and it was verified because I didn't have paperwork showing that is was discharged.  Now that I am better educated and more motivated, I am going to stay on this until it is clear.

The problem isn't that I see it on my records.  My other BK accounts are there w/ zero balances and a note that they were included in a BK.  My problem is that it shows a $16k balance, with a gazillion late payments and being way overlimit as if it were still an active debt.  The balance has seriously inflated since going to collections, as well. 

I guess my options are to simply dispute w/ the force of more paperwork -- including the discharge letter that states that all of my accounts were discharged and adding all of my filing paperwork (let the person on the other end sort through it and see if it is listed or not).  Or I can try to make a PFD deal and hope that my discharge is leverage enough to make them accept a small sum of money.  After that, good will and/or trying to add it to my BK case filings are the only other things I can think of....
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Andy,

I had to go to the court and get a copy of my bk7 paperwork.  It is different from the one that I received initially.  Just yesterday when I was faxing over the list of creditors and other paperwork to TU and EQ regarding a discharged account from JCPenney that they put on my husband, I noticed that I have two lists of creditor sheets.  One is for when we initially filed and the other was in the copy that I got from the civil court.  If you could check there first and get a copy of the final paperwork that would be a start.  Maybe it is listed on your creditor list but on another sheet. 

You should also send it to the CRA's and dispute anything that is open that was part of your BK and they will have the legit pprwrk right there to update all of your accounts at one time instead of having to send letters for each one.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how it works out.

Eve
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.