Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chargeoff Not a Chargeoff

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chargeoff Not a Chargeoff

Bank reported a loan as a "Chargeoff" because two payments were late.  Made every payment for ten years and still making every payment by autodeduct.  Legal definition of a "Chargeoff" is "Uncollectable".  CRAs won't remove it and neither will the bank.  Lawyers tell me a creditor can report a Chargeoff any time they want.  ?????????

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Chargeoff Not a Chargeoff

@Anonymous wrote:

Bank reported a loan as a "Chargeoff" because two payments were late.  Made every payment for ten years and still making every payment by autodeduct.  Legal definition of a "Chargeoff" is "Uncollectable".  CRAs won't remove it and neither will the bank.  Lawyers tell me a creditor can report a Chargeoff any time they want.  ?????????

A charge~off is simply an accounting term, that marks a debt as being written off on their books.    It does not prevent a debt from be reported to the CRAs or from it continuing to be collected on.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

So what you're telling me is that a lender can report your loan "Charged off" to the CRAs, which appears to the user of the reports as Unpaid, at any time, whether the loan is current or not?

Message 3 of 17
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

So what you're telling me is that a lender can report your loan "Charged off" to the CRAs, which appears to the user of the reports as Unpaid, at any time, whether the loan is current or not?

Charged~off doesn't mean unpaid.   It just means that the debt was written off by the creditor.    It can be either paid or unpaid after the fact that it was CO'd.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is listed as a derogatory item on my credit report.  Creditors interpret it a a default.  So why should I keep paying the loan?

Message 5 of 17
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

It is listed as a derogatory item on my credit report.  Creditors interpret it a a default.  So why should I keep paying the loan?

It is a default/derogatory item.   If you look at almost any loan contract or CC agreement they can consider you to be in default anytime you miss a payment and can probably demand payment in full or even charge~off the debt.

You still owe the debt regardless of what the creditor does with it on their books.   If you don't pay they'll just sic collection agencies on you, or possibly sue.

I'm not trying to sound "preachy", I have had CO'd accounts before as well.     Have you tried talking with them and asking if they'll goodwill some of your late payments or do anything to help ?

Message 6 of 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Because they could sue if within the SOL of your state, or sell the debt to a CA who can then report and/or sue.

Ditto on the CO definition. A creditor can CO the account whenever they want, though traditionally it's 90-120+ days out from the first missed payment. There are some examples in here of car lenders charging-off car loans just after 30 days, which usually involves the lender calling in the loan after an auto accident.

ETA...slow typer Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, I've talked, threatened, begged, prayed.....no, they are maliciously adamant.  It was 2 months late 5 years ago.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesn"t a CO lower your score more than 60 days late?

Message 9 of 17
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Doesn"t a CO lower your score more than 60 days late?

I would assume that a CO would have a more severe FICO scoring penatly associated with it than a late payment, like 30, 60, days...etc... But this is just my guess, unfortunately I'm not privy to the inner workings of FICO scoring.   Smiley Wink

Also remember that over time the FICO scoring ding for lates and even COs will diminish to some extent.    YMMV.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.