Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Liquid vs Chase Regular Debit

tag
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Chase Liquid vs Chase Regular Debit

Are there any differences between a linked Chase Liquid card vs a regular Chase debit card?

What's the advantage to have a Chase Liquid over a regular Chase debit?

I think Chase Liquid is more for the ppl who cannot get a checking account, is it right?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Jungook
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase Liquid vs Chase Regular Debit

When I was opening my checking account at Chase I asked the rep the same thing.

He replied that some individuals may not qualify for a checking account with Chase or simply do not want to have a checking account so they open a liquid card with them.

Message 2 of 6
Stralem
Established Contributor

I had a coworker who ran into some trouble with a bunch of bounced checks. I don't know the specifics of his situation, but in the end his bank shut down his account and placed him on the ChexSystem blacklist. The Liquid card was his only recourse.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 3 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Stralem wrote:

I had a coworker who ran into some trouble with a bunch of bounced checks. I don't know the specifics of his situation, but in the end his bank shut down his account and placed him on the ChexSystem blacklist. The Liquid card was his only recourse.

Yup, Liquid is a prepaid card which doesn't have the same Chex check.

        
Message 4 of 6
user5387
Valued Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:

Are there any differences between a linked Chase Liquid card vs a regular Chase debit card?

What's the advantage to have a Chase Liquid over a regular Chase debit?

I think Chase Liquid is more for the ppl who cannot get a checking account, is it right?

A debit card is typically attached to a regular checking account, which may have a lot of money in it.  Therefore there's a security risk with using the debit card.

A prepaid card is also attached to an account with money in it, but prepaid cards tend to be more limited in scope.

If a person wants to go the debit/prepaid route, and limit the risk, then one way of doing so is to periodically fund a prepaid card from another account, or fund a regular debit card from savings, and thereby limit the amount of exposure.

Message 5 of 6
Kevinception
Established Member

One huge difference is the fee. Liquid card has about a $5 fee /month and the regular checking has a fee but its automatically waived with $500 direct deposit a month. im not sure that you can get the fee waived for the liquid (Unless you have a top-tier checking account that allows liquid cards for free). 

The liquid card is a great route to go for the uncertainty of online shopping. Seeing as how its prepaid, you can limit the amount of money exposed to potential hackers and scammers.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.