Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase reports when balance hits $0?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase reports when balance hits $0?

I have to give Chase some props here. Unlike other banks who will hold payments if they don't fit the "pattern" you have been paying, they literally credited my first big payment ($1000 on Thursday) the next day, and then when I made another payment of $2500 yesterday I woke up today to payment received balance 0. In total shock. Have been paying straight minimums for about 10 months (0%) until now. I was already prepared to sit on the phone Monday and clear the payments, like I have had to do with pretty much any other card I made large payments on (for multiple months on a few of them). I have cards I have been payingoff for months in full (small ones too) and they STILL are holding payments when I make them. 

I guess now I will sit back and wait to see how long it takes for that 0 to pop up on credit report! 

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess now I will sit back and wait to see how long it takes for that 0 [at Chase] to pop up on credit report! 

It takes 1-6 business days, with three being a good guess.  Remember that we are in a major holiday weekend so it's reasonable to expect that their first business day might in practice might not be until Wed.

A week from today (Sat) is a decent guess for when the database would be updated.

After that, it can take 1 or even 2 business days before a CMS (credit monitoring system) sends you an alert, notifying you of the new balance.

Of course, maybe it will happen more quickly!  Just don't expect it to.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid off my balance mid cycle and Chase reported to Eq and Ex within 3 day. Took longer for Trans.
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

CGID, can you explain that to me please? I don't understand why you would get a penalty if 0

Message 14 of 18
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@HeavenOhio
wrote:

The only time Chase won't report the statement balance is if you pay to zero immediately after the statement cuts. In that case, they'll go straight to reporting zero.

If you need to have a Chase card continuously report a positive balance, make a small charge and let it post before paying the statement balance in full.

This coming week, I'll have the chance to see if Chase still does this.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 15 of 18
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@Anonymous
wrote:

CGID, can you explain that to me please? I don't understand why you would get a penalty if 0

In short, if you have one credit card, your FICO score will be better if it reports a small balance (say, $5) than if it reports 0.  Lenders want to see at least some card use.  If you have 3 cards, for optimal scoring, 2 cards should report zero and the 3rd report a small balance.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@expatCanuckwrote:

@Anonymous
wrote:

In short, if you have one credit card, your FICO score will be better if it reports a small balance (say, $5) than if it reports 0.  Lenders want to see at least some card use.  If you have 3 cards, for optimal scoring, 2 cards should report zero and the 3rd report a small balance.

Yes, I understand. But why ONE card? Why not multiple?

Message 17 of 18
NaaryalHead
Regular Contributor

To confirm, Chase reports zero balance pretty fast.

My statement was reported with a small balance. 2 days later i paid it down to zero and within 2 days again it was reported to CRAs.

Sincd this was my only card with a balance, I got a small credit score dent of 7 points.

Lesson learnt.

5k+ CLs: Chase Amazon, Cap1 QS1,
10k+ CLs: BofA Cash Rewards, Amex Cash Magnet, Citi DC, Barclays Uber, Citi Premier, Chase Saphire Preff,Cap1 Savor1

Torch bearer of the Bucketeers' Society. Shamefully carrying a bucketed Cap One QS1 with AF & zero chance of a PC.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.