Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase reports when balance hits $0?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase reports when balance hits $0?

Is this still true? I read somewhere on here in the archives that Chase will report even if it is not the usual date right when the balance hits 0? My typical report date is the 15th, but it is my last card that I have to pay off and I can pay it right now if I wanted to. Just want to make sure it will report if I do that. I have never heard of that before. 

Here is the other thread

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/When-does-Chase-report/td-p/4475703

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase reports when balance hits $0?

It's true! They reported a zero balance for me mid-cycle just recently on my Amazon Visa.
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
It's true! They reported a zero balance for me mid-cycle just recently on my Amazon Visa.

Wow this is great! I wish other banks did this. 

Did they still report on the usual date as well that month?

Message 3 of 18
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is no statutory requirement that they do so.

The FCRA only mandates updated reporting be done "promptly" as necessary to reflect the current accuracy.  FCRA 623(a)(2).

No immediate updating is required.

The next regular reporting cycle is generally considered to meet the promptness requirement.

They may have their own policy to do immediate updates when the balance reaches $0, but it is not mandated.

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Every time you pay your chase card to zero it will report. Sometimes I pay my FU once a week and TU always let's me know I paid off a tradeline and it's always chase.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this still true? I read somewhere on here in the archives that Chase will report even if it is not the usual date right when the balance hits 0? My typical report date is the 15th, but it is my last card that I have to pay off and I can pay it right now if I wanted to. Just want to make sure it will report if I do that. I have never heard of that before. 

Here is the other thread

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/When-does-Chase-report/td-p/4475703

Are you saying that if you were to pay off your Chase, then all your cards would be reporting $0?  This will cause you to take a scoring penalty.  You should always have one card reporting a small balance.

PS.  The other folks are right.  Chase will do a mid-cycle report if you pay it to zero.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is the other thread

Are you saying that if you were to pay off your Chase, then all your cards would be reporting $0?  This will cause you to take a scoring penalty.  You should always have one card reporting a small balance.

PS.  The other folks are right.  Chase will do a mid-cycle report if you pay it to zero.

I have both Home Depot and Lowes that have a little each on them, and some other tiny ones. So it won't be "0" technically but my UTI will be at about 3%.

Should I keep small balances on all of them (after I get the chase to report 0) or will just a few do the trick? I have like 12 accounts.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

One will do the trick.  It just needs to be a true credit card (not a charge card) and a card in your name (not an AU card).

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow this is great! I wish other banks did this. 

Did they still report on the usual date as well that month?

Yes, they did. 

Message 9 of 18
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

The only time Chase won't report the statement balance is if you pay to zero immediately after the statement cuts. In that case, they'll go straight to reporting zero.

If you need to have a Chase card continuously report a positive balance, make a small charge and let it post before paying the statement balance in full.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.