Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheapskate Tricks, Cheats and Warstories

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheapskate Tricks, Cheats and Warstories

In the pursuit of fiscal conservatism, I'm interested in hearing everyone's cheapskate tricks. IOW, a money saving pursuit. I'll start. I really like hearing the stuff that borders on OCD.

Got an $18 Casio watch from Costco that's 5 years old. Metal band, analog, 100M water resistance. Had to pay about $7 when I got it to take a couple of links outta the band. Bought a pricey Pulsar, probably 20 years ago, and I don't think it lasted 2 years. Cannot stand paying a lot for a watch.

Hereof late, I shop for pants (jeans and slacks) at Vanity Fair (North Bend Outlet Mall). $10 is normal. Occassionally I can find stuff for a little less. Think I once paid $6 for jeans at a Vanity Fair in PA. Mostly Lee and Wrangler jeans. Still have to pay $7-10 a pop in addition on slacks to take 'em to get hemmed.

Shirts I get dinged a bit more. $12-20. I'm a Large-Tall, and any more I have trouble finding those. Places that carry Talls seem to start at XL-Tall. Casual Male is ridiculous in their prices and their idea of a large is too snug. Eddie Bauer clearance and Eddie Bauer Outlet is normally where I look these days. Their sizing fits me great, they carry Large-Tall, and they are durable as all get out. Had an Eddie Bauer 3-Season jacket for musta been 16 years. Only got rid of it because it was a Medium-Tall, like I used to be. Couple years ago, got 6 Eddie Bauer shirts off Ebay for $40, including shipping. One didn't quite fit, so I gave it to Goodwill. $8 each for what seemed like New Without Tags condition.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cheapskate Tricks, Cheats and Warstories

To hear my kids tell it, I am a world champion cheapskate.
*Drive a 27 year old car.
*Buy only store brand foods.
*Buy almost all my clothes on ebay. And when I'm done with them, I re-sell them on ebay.
*ClearanceClearanceClearance!
*Buy stuff at the bread outlet store.

Oh, I could go on and on. I LOVE to save money!
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noah_Bodie wrote:
In the pursuit of fiscal conservatism, I'm interested in hearing everyone's cheapskate tricks. IOW, a money saving pursuit. I'll start. I really like hearing the stuff that borders on OCD.

ohhh, I think I got some of those, especially the Cheapskate Trick one.  I have a good eBay Cheapskate Trick story some might enjoy.  An approximate $4,500 in savings!!!  Smiley Very Happy   

But before I do, what is IOW & OCD?

I'll have to post the story tonight tho, gotta play catch-up today at work. 

Live Long & Prosper,
ctRob
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

ctrob wrote:

Noah_Bodie wrote:

ohhh, I think I got some of those, especially the Cheapskate Trick one.  I have a good eBay Cheapskate Trick story some might enjoy.  An approximate $4,500 in savings!!!  Smiley Very Happy   

But before I do, what is IOW & OCD?

I'll have to post the story tonight tho, gotta play catch-up today at work. 

Live Long & Prosper,
ctRob

Gonna guess here: IOW = In Other Words?
                                OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?

Cheapskate trick?? Hmmmm!!

Ok fine, I'm a moocher.  I rarely buy food, I eat at my mom's and grandmother's house all the time. Shameful, yes I know
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

trinigal wrote:

Gonna guess here: IOW = In Other Words?
                                OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?

Bingo! Winner! On both cards!

I myself suffer from CDO. It is similar to OCD, but in the proper alphabetic order.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

DW and I had been watching prices for a while, and we're becoming more and more convinced that the everyday prices at Costco on a great many things really pays off. Name brand canned veggies are cheaper per can than store brand. But as with all things, you gotta check. Costco, at least in my neighborhood, seems to cater to the high end. Lots of big ticket items I would never consider. Meat is hit and miss at Costco. They carry a lot of expensive cuts, but we often find deals on lesser cuts.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Local Grocery store, runs lots of "Buy One Get One" sales.

Weekly food shopping contains 90% of what is B1G1, usually spend about 70 dollars a week with a average savings of about 30 bucks. Sometimes this leads to weird combos of food for meals. But WTH, bachelor, and will eat most anything anyway. And it feels great to get all those "FREE" groceries each week.
Message 7 of 8
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Much to my wife's dismay :

buy mostly store brand products ( unless there is a good coupon)
She clips and I use coupons
Downgraded to basic analog cable instead of digital  ( it's tough with living with only 75 instead 375 channels)

Shop at Wal-Mart

Use Bank of America's "Keep the change", ( Please don't chime in Raz  LOL LOL )

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.