Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking account fraud - new to me!

tag
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Checking account fraud - new to me!

Mods - if this should be elsewhere, please move it.

I've never had this happen before and sincerely hope it's an "error" and not intentional fraud.  The banks can sort it out.

In 2015, I wrote a personal check of my (then main) checking account.  The guy cashed the check immediately.  I reconciled my bank statements, all was good.  I even downloaded a copy of the front and the back of the check for my records.  *** Everyone should do this!!!

At the end of 2015, I stopped using this account as my main checking account.  My records showed that all checks had cleared.  I left a penny in the account to keep it open.  I use another bank for checking.

Today, I logged on to my old bank account (as I sometimes do) and was shocked to see that my credit card had a balance!  I don't use the cc.  Looked up the charge - it was for overdraft fees.  I went to the checking account and saw that a check had been paid.  Opened up the image and copied the front and the back of the check.  It was the same check dated during the first half of 2015.

Went back through my statements and my files.  Found confirmation that it was the same check that had been cashed twice.  

I had thought banks wouldn't accept checks that were older than 6 months from the date they were signed, but there's no one checking mobile or ATM deposits.

I figure since the guy deposited this check twice (and got paid twice) that it must have been a mobile deposit the first time.  

*sigh*  Thank goodness for overdraft protection, but jeez, this is the second time that someone has committed fraud against my bank account and overdraft has allowed them to get the cash.  This checking account is old.  And yes, it has overdraft.  It's like my security blanket if I ever needed it, which is one of the reasons I am not closing it.  And the other checking account does NOT have overdraft for this very reason.  Fraud.

The other fraud - I had put a stop payment on the check.  (Contractor never showed up for work, wouldn't take my calls...)  When the contractor tried to cash the check a few days after his no show start date, it was declined.  So he, with a teller out of state, made a new paper strip and attached it to the bottom of the check.  It contained the correct routing number and account number, but a different check number.  So the check "cleared" and the guy walked away with thousands in cash.  When I brought it to my banks attention, they claimed it was a different check number so they had done right to pay out.  I told the customer representative to physically look at the check and that he would be able to verify the check number printed on the check was different from the additional paper strip that was added to the bottom of the check.  He would also be able to verify that I HAD put a stop payment on that check BEFORE it was presented for payment.  The rep did, FDIC got involved, and the saga continued for several more months, but I did get my money back.  All of it.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Checking account fraud - new to me!

IOBA thank you for sharing the real world. What would someone in a bank be doing? They should be held as accountable as the crook! Fraud ... your situation is so far out their "cash" with no paper and no payment until work is performed. WOW this is just terrible! Time for the old bank to go away!!!
Message 2 of 4
IOBA
Senior Contributor

It use to be in the day, and still is I guess, the policy that you put a deposit down on any contract work.  (That's what I had done for the first checking account fraud.)  

Now, I refuse to put any money down before the work has started.  Need materials?  Tell me what you need and I have will the materials here for you.  As for the rest of it (labor), if you can't afford to wait until there is measurable, visiable progress on the job, then you aren't the contractor for me.

I've had some great contractors.  They get it.

I've had some contractors come to me and beg for money before they were to the halway point, before they were to the end...(and they wanted to be paid in full.)  I say no.  My  DH thinks I am being cruel.  But really?  If I pay them all the money now, what's their incentive to come back and finish the job?

Anyways - beware of any checks that were mobile deposited!  And always download your check images!!!  Front and back!!!

I can't wait to talk to my bank tomorrow about this issue.  Of course, they are closed now...Sunday.  Go figure!

Message 3 of 4
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Update -  talked to the bank and they are going to refuse payment.  Uh, it's already been paid, but ok.  I think they meant void the payment.  I have to wait 3-5 business days to receive a refund of the monies removed from my account.  They have no measures in place to prevent this type of fraud from happening.

Talked to my main checking account bank to give them a heads up.  They said that they have a check system in place and will not allow the same check to be deposited twice. Ok, got that.  But this was a withdrawal, twice.  They have nothing in place to prevent that from happening (what happened to me.)  

So guys, beware of checks sailing through your account twice over several years.  And always download check images (front and back) of the checks that clear your account.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.