cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking credit reports & Possible Identity theft??

tag
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

Checking credit reports & Possible Identity theft??

My 20-year-old nephew, who has no credit, was trying to pull his free annual credit reports and failed the identity questions. The particular questions that he's sure he failed were about a mortgage. He has no mortgage. But he can't obtain his report online and his mother doesn't want him to send his personal information via regular mail. I can't talk her into it. Is there another way? Any other suggestions for his situation?

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Re: Checking credit reports & Possible Identity theft??

If a person can not access their online credit report then the individual would have to mail it in. So there is no other way. Here is what documentation will be needed; copy of his driver's license or state id card which as to have the same address, copy of his social security card, a utility bill or a cell phone bill that reflects the same address, a copy of a credit card statement as well as a bank statement that reflects the same address. Also have him include a letter to the credit bureaus to request a copy of his credit report. I have personally sent in copies of things that verify myself & have had no issues or problems. There are three credit bureaus. Also on the annual credit report website he can also try the other two credit bureaus. So if the questions that were asked but did not work out for him, in Experian for example, he could try Equifax or Transunion.

Message 2 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto to the above. Tell the nephew to mail it in anyway. He's 20.

On the questions, they tend to trip you up. In our pre-mortgage days, it was always asking for the name of my mortgage lender and mortgage amount. There was an answer for none of the above.

Message 3 of 8
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

It's a delicate issue. I've gone "against" her before and it caused a lot of problems. If I suggest for him to mail it, which I would LOVE to do, he'll tell his mom, and I won't be able to get around it. Yes, he's 20, but he's immature for his age and his parents haven't really taught him how to handle his finances. He depends on the "adults" around him a lot. Woman Frustrated

And as for the mail thing and safety, we have a relative who works for the government. Having "inside" information makes you think. But I've never had a problem. So I would gladly tell my nephew to follow through with getting his credit report via regular mail.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like the situation is just gonna sit for now. Too bad for them.

Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 4 of 8
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

Oh, and with the security questions, 2 of them were about a mortgage, 1 was his street address, and 1 was his city. And he didn't pass. So we're all pretty sure it was the mortgage questions. He did answer "none of the above." That's why I was wondering about ID theft. We have people close to us who would do something like that. Woman Frustrated

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you suspect ID theft as a culprit, then you will be dealing with a whole lot more than just sending personal info to a CRA.

Dealing with identity theft under the FCRA requires the consumer to first submit a police report attesting to the consumer's good faith assertion, based on information in his file that he did not authorize, that it could only have been reported as a result of identity theft.  Until he gets a copy of his credit report, that would not be a wise move.

He needs a copy of his credit report to base any such action.

If personal situations preclude that, then I see him stuck behind a rock.

Message 6 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

If you suspect ID theft as a culprit, then you will be dealing with a whole lot more than just sending personal info to a CRA.

Dealing with identity theft under the FCRA requires the consumer to first submit a police report attesting to the consumer's good faith assertion, based on information in his file that he did not authorize, that it could only have been reported as a result of identity theft.  Until he gets a copy of his credit report, that would not be a wise move.

He needs a copy of his credit report to base any such action.

If personal situations preclude that, then I see him stuck behind a rock.

Does she trust fax? I recommend that he call each bureau and fax in the information... or send the information via certified mail. His mom really wouldn't have a leg to stand on if she objects to certified mail.... with a return receipt and/or delivery confirmation.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 8
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@Ravensfan2001 wrote:

My 20-year-old nephew, who has no credit, was trying to pull his free annual credit reports and failed the identity questions. The particular questions that he's sure he failed were about a mortgage. He has no mortgage. But he can't obtain his report online and his mother doesn't want him to send his personal information via regular mail. I can't talk her into it. Is there another way? Any other suggestions for his situation?

Which CR did he tried to pull and failed?  Was it just one CR or all three of them?

He might want to try to buy his CR directly from the CRAs website.  I know it sounds funny, but I have heard of ppl failing the ID questions on the annualcreditreport.com site but then buy the CR from the CRA and pass the ID questions on their site with no problems.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.