Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child Support Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Child Support Question

My fiance is paying child support and having it deducted from his payroll. He is not current so yes he is paying back child support. FYI: Yes he does owe $44,000 just becaues the mother left with his daughter when she was a baby. She was moving from county to county when he was trying to get in contact with her to get some kind of visitation. He finally gave up, so 2 1/2 years ago she finally served him with papers for child support when his daughter was now 7 yrs. old. So now he is obligated to pay back pay.
Even though it's coming out of his paycheck so it is on time it shows lates: 3-30 day; 1-60 day; 2-90 day. I know i heard that the child support's system is behind so they say even though the payment is there it doesn't get posted til 60 days late. Does anybody know if there is a way to get that changed and show he is on time?
Also, he has two tradelines, I don't know if they put it on his credit twice because they have two different names and address but it is the same county. One is reported by XPN and the other by TRU.
I thought maybe it was just a double showing up and not being counted but i looked in the credit summary and it has one as installment payments and the other counted in open/other. So he is getting hit twice, doubling what his total debt is. Does anybody have any advice or been through this. We are trying to clean up his credit and we have no idea how to handle this. Thanks so much

Message Edited by septgirl27 on 06-04-2008 01:41 PM
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Child Support Question

My suggestion would be to contact the child support enforcement office that he deals with.
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just curious what state you are in. I didn't think you could get retro CS ..  I thought it was only from the date of filing..   that really sucks for him   Smiley Indifferent
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Septgirl,

My DH has a very similar issue, the same moving around, can't find her deal. His CS shows on his CR as 120 days late every month. His CS comes out of his paycheck, too and has been for many years. There seems to be nothing the CRAs will do about the way it is reported, and the child support enforcement office says it will stay that way until he owes NOTHING. However, when I disputed the lates with TU, they deleted the whole account. Not sure why. It has been several months and it has not reappeared.

Good luck.
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

THank you for that info...we will have to do that and contact them maybe they can atleast delete that one. Because as i said it shows two different TL and i know for a fact what he owes because we get a monthly statement. We are in California, and yes it has been a mess especially because she kept moving and ended up settling in a county that is 8 hours away. She lost her job and came back looking for him years later. I'm hoping that atleast maybe one TL being removed will help.
He has spoken with the child support office and they are stating that it is there system that is behind. That was 2 years ago and now that we pulled his credit i seen that they have it on there two times and counting both.
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

This doesn't help you, but it may ease your mind a bit (or make you understand that you have to be especially vigilant about this) but most CS offices don't have a dedicated credit reporting department. It's often some schmuck who's regular responsibilities include filling the coffee pot and chasing down deadbeat dads.

IOW, chances are, it's some guy who knows next to nothing, aside from what he reads online and in memos, on reporting to the credit bureaus. And chances are, he's so overworked that he really doesn't "get around" to updating the CRAs as often as he should.

Good luck!!!!
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

How did she manage back-support in CA? When I went to a lawyer trying to decide whether to destroy the Ex for child support, or just have his parental rights terminated, I was told they can't go after him for back support. This was just last year. Unless your fiance set up a payment arrangement in the past, and then stopped paying? If he had something notarized w/ the ex, or if the ex could prove he voluntarily paid for a while and then stopped, then that would be the only way to sue for any back-payments.. that's what I was told.
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

No there was nothing set up. She filed years later, took him to court stating she had no idea where he was that is why she had not gone after him. When all along she knew because he was in the same place. She has a child from somebody else that is not in the picture as well and told them she is not working. When the baby was born he was helping, but then she up and left.
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went ahead and called TU to dispute the lates and they are going to look into it. So hopefully this will help.  Thanks BZZZYMOM!!!
Message 9 of 21
chartley3
Frequent Contributor

Sept,

speaking from experience I had the same issue in Ohio. My advice is find a really good Family Law attorney and proceed to goto court and fight the back pay. If you can prove she was the nomad you may get it reversed. Sadly the person ultimately getting screwed in this whole deal is the child.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.