Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child Support

tag
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Child Support

Barry, can I get you or one of the othe MYFICO staff to elaborate on how child support affects a consumer's credit report and score?  Is it posted under the public record section? Will it cause your score to drop or where the score would affect a higher rating?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Child Support

Mine (in CT) reports as a regular account with my mortgages & CC's like any other tradeline, showing paid as aggreed for every month. 

It's on my CR because at one time I had an old balance.  But once I paid the balance it now reports as a Good monthly payment.  I have no idea how it affects my score but plan on leaving it as is. 
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

MIne shows as open and payed as agreed also. Again, like most, mine is on my CR due to a delinquency. I called FICO last week, and spoke with a customer service person. She said that as far as she could tell, it was helping my scores. To at least some degree. But no one seems to know for sure. Seems as if maybe it depends on how the DCS reports it to the CRAs. In my case it is an open account, not sure what type, but payed as agreed.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The State tells me mine is going to end up on my CR. As a noncustodial father I'm sure it will tank my credit score when it appears, even though I'm current. The child support system will do whatever it can to attack fathers.
Message 4 of 5
kmcbarne
Established Member

According to the PDF on the "Credit Education" page, FICO scores do not consider anything listed as family support/obligation.  This would make sense as my Experian score is higher than the other two and is the only one showing my support obligation.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.