Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child Support

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Child Support

I know from what I have read that collection accounts and public records do not affect the scores when one disputes.  I have also read that child support is not figured into one's score.  Can someone please explain why, then, when my DH disputed his child support as inaccurate, his FICO dropped 37 points?  Had I known that, I would not have suggested that he do that.  The amount was incorrect and I wanted it updated due to the fact that that shows outstanding debt when applying for a mortgage refi. It also states that he is 120 days late twice in 2005 and he most definitely was not.  What gives?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
chartley3
Frequent Contributor

Re: Child Support

Anytime you dispute an item it can drop the score temporarily. As for the child support item, if there were any arrearages due to non payment they can post a 120+ day late on your credit report and it will stay there for 7 years. My advice is to make sure your DH doesnt get behind and support payments and wait out the time until it falls off.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

There were arrearages that  put the TL on his CR to begin with.  However, it looks like perfect pay until 2005 when he had two 120 day lates.  I have his statement of account which shows this is not true.  Three years ago the TL was reporting twice.  One from our home state which was reporting favorably ( if there is such a thing) and one TL  from the state where she lives which had not updated in 4 years and showing the beginning balance of arrears. He disputed as a duplicate, and of course, the crappy one stayed.  I would think that if an entity can put something on your CR, they would be  bound by the same  law that says they must do accurate reporting.  If  he does not have success with the dispute, I will suggest he send his own documentation to the CRA himself. But my original question remains unanswered.  If it is not  figured  into the score in the first place, how can it lower it  when that TL is disputed?
Message 3 of 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

There are some things FICO will not calculate while a TL is in
dispute. Does that mean you should dispute in hopes of increasing your score? NO! This
could easily backfire. 

Collections and public records do not apply and are never exempt while in dispute. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tuscani wrote:
There are some things FICO will not calculate while a TL is in
dispute. Does that mean you should dispute in hopes of increasing your score? NO! This
could easily backfire. 

Collections and public records do not apply and are never exempt while in dispute. Smiley Happy

I did not have him dispute in order to raise scores for a refi.  I was actually trying to clean up his TL for any type of manual review.  From previous threads I have read regarding the subject, I was under the impression Child Support did not figure in to a score at all, so it caught me a little off guard when his score dropped due to the dispute, that's all.  My goal is not to try to get out of anything, nor is it to try to be deceitful (sp?).  I want to make amends for all past errors and make myself not only look credit worthy, but be credit worthy.  As I have said before, I have caught the "credit flu".  Again, thanks for all of your help.  This site has been life changing! 
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.