Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Provides Free Equifax Score

tag
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

Citi Provides Free Equifax Score

Recently I was reading a couple of threads where posters were asking who was offering a free score from Equifax.  No one seemed to know.  Or at least no one who did know chimed in.  Well, I just got an offer in the mail from Citi Diamond Preferred and they are offering an EQ FICO 8.  

Hope this information helps someone! 

FullSizeRender.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi Provides Free Equifax Score

Yes, many posters confirm receiving an Equifax Bankcard Fico 8 score through Citi.

The question is where to get an EQ Classic Fico 8 score. Someone may have reported a free source by now but, I don't recall seeing where.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 2 of 12
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Yes Citicards is been offering Equifax bankcard fico 08 for quite awhile now.

I detest that model though. Check this out. It shows my own Bankcard 08 FICO at just 695. What?

By complete contrast, NFCU offers and shows my Equifax FICO 9 Score almost 800! at 791. YES.

I know they do that on purpose to keep those SP CLI's at bare minimum because i recently had them pull a Genuine EQ FICO 8 (not bankcard) on a futile attempt to move limits and it was shot down. Smiley Sad

HOWEVER, courtesy that same EQ FICO 8 (instead of bankcard 8) i ended up getting the highest CLI on BOTH my Citicards, even the one i was trying to combo over to.

I will never understand it, but that's quite OK. It is what it is, but for my end i detest BOTH Vantage + Citicard's EQ Bankcard because those are horrible at correctly gauging and measuring credit standings IMHO.

Message 3 of 12
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Yes, many posters confirm receiving an Equifax Bankcard Fico 8 score through Citi.

The question is where to get an EQ Classic Fico 8 score. Someone may have reported a free source by now but, I don't recall seeing where.

Ah, see that went right over my head.  I didn't hone in on the "bankcard" part.  In truth, I'd not heard of the bankcard score until this thread -- I had to go on a forum search. 

So sorry about the worthless information.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 4 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@WhiteCleats wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Ah, see that went right over my head.  I didn't hone in on the "bankcard" part.  In truth, I'd not heard of the bankcard score until this thread -- I had to go on a forum search. 

No information is worthless, WhiteCleats. There's always something to be learned. If you had not posted the Citi Equifax info, I would not have known the difference between a bankcard FICO and a classic FICO. Yep, I am always learning something new and intriguing from this forum. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 12
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@WhiteCleats wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

No information is worthless, WhiteCleats. There's always something to be learned. If you had not posted the Citi Equifax info, I would not have known the difference between a bankcard FICO and a classic FICO. Yep, I am always learning something new and intriguing from this forum. 

Yeah, true.  I'm in the same boat you are -- Bankcard v. Classic.  

And so the search continues for a free Classic 8 score from Equifax.  They're ellusive wankers, aren't they?

EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

Yes Citicards is been offering Equifax bankcard fico 08 for quite awhile now.

I detest that model though. Check this out. It shows my own Bankcard 08 FICO at just 695. What?

By complete contrast, NFCU offers and shows my Equifax FICO 9 Score almost 800! at 791. YES.

I know they do that on purpose to keep those SP CLI's at bare minimum because i recently had them pull a Genuine EQ FICO 8 (not bankcard) on a futile attempt to move limits and it was shot down. Smiley Sad

HOWEVER, courtesy that same EQ FICO 8 (instead of bankcard 8) i ended up getting the highest CLI on BOTH my Citicards, even the one i was trying to combo over to.

I will never understand it, but that's quite OK. It is what it is, but for my end i detest BOTH Vantage + Citicard's EQ Bankcard because those are horrible at correctly gauging and measuring credit standings IMHO.

Super interesting information above, CM!

Do you or TT (or anyone else) know what the major differences are between Classic and Bankcard in terms of the scoring model?  What does Bankcard see on your profile that results in your score being 100 points different?  From what I've read, Bankcard puts more weight as one may expect into revolvers (presumably less into installment loans).  I would think if you have a bunch of revolvers and are running AZEO with 1% utilization or so that would be ideal from a Bankcard perspective, but what do I know.

I'm at 4+ months with Citi now (DC card) and have yet to see a FICO score on my account.  I contacted the EO at Citi yesterday and they are working on this problem for me.  I'll be very curious to see where my EQ Bankcard 8 sits, as my EQ Classic 8 is currently 836.  I do want to know what score Citi has on file for me as it would be nice to know if I'm in good standing for a potential auto-CLI at some point.  

So you actually requested that they pull your Classic 8 scores for CLI purposes?  How did that conversation go?  You said they wouldn't use it to move limits, but you did end up with CLIs?  Way off topic here, but in 2 months when my DC card hits the 6 month mark following whatever SP CLI I get (from hitting the button online) I plan on calling them and asking them to take a HP for a larger CLI.  When doing this, do you have any suggestions as to how high I can shoot for a limit with them?  My SL was $7300 and I've been giving them about $3k/mo spend with PIF.  I have 3 other cards that have $25k, $30k and $40k limits and it would be nice if I could push my DC into the $20k+ range, but I dont know if that's being too greedy.  Any tips here are welcomed.

Message 7 of 12
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

BBS -

Based on general observations, published informatiom and data from SJ (low Bankcard score relative to Classic); Bankcard Enhanced should be a bit different than Classic in the following areas:

1) The 1st is obvious - BC scale is 250 to 900 - although I believe Fico offers an option to scale BC to standard (Classic) Fico per a TU publication

2) New accounts likely impact score more on Bankcard Fico 8 than Classic Fico 8

3) The Bankcard version is more sensitive to number or % of open accounts reporting balances relative to the Classic version

4) Derogatories are more influential on Fico 8 Bankcard.

FWIW - Equifax adds two industry overlays to Beacon 09 (Fico 8) to come up with industry enhanced Fico 8 scores

Beacon 9 Industry Option.jpg

Fico 8 Risk for Bankcards.jpg

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

BBS -

Based on data general observations and data from SJ (low Bankcard score relative to Classic) Bankcard Enhanced is a bit different than Classic in the following areas:

1) The 1st is obvious - scale is 250 to 900 - although I believe Fico offers an option to scale to standard (Classic) Fico per TU publication

2) New accounts negatively impact score more on Bankcard Fico 8 than Classic Fico 8

3) The Bankcard version is more sensitive to number or % of open accounts reporting balances relative to the Classic version

4) Derogatories are more influential on Fico 8 Bankcard.

I didn't realize that SJ had derogs (#4).  And as far as #3 goes, I always thought that SJ typically kept most of his cards reporting $0.  Am I mistaken about either of those?

As far as #2 goes, my FICO 8 BE has always been higher than my FICO 8 Classic including during the time I was opening lots of new cards.  I expected BE to get stressed out but the hit to my Classic was worse.  Just one person's experience of course, but in my case BE did not respond badly to new cards.

Message 9 of 12
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

A few things -

1) Everything above was NOT stated to be directly attributable to SJ - Not sure how you draw that conclusion.

2) SJ has indeed been reporting more than one card as shown in a number of his posts although he is a one card advocate. As I recall he even mentioned the one card only was too much effort given his portfolio.

3) One of the two reason statements I get for Citi Fico 8 Bankcard always lists: Too many accounts reporting balances even when only two report - consider that a general observation.

4) Fico 8 Bankcard should, in general, be higher for those with scores near or above 800 as the the upper limit is 900 as opposed to 850. As I recall, the last time you listed a Fico 8 score it was above 800.

5) New account impact is based on newness, # of recent account adds and inquiries. SJ had some rather recent loans as well as credit cards. As I recall one of his denial letters mentioned new accounts as a reason.

With regards to delinquencies, Enhanced Fico models (at least for EQ) include Non Derog/Derog overlays that by inference add weight to this characteristic. Really was not drawing a hypothesis regarding derogs based on SJ's data. Not sure that he has any type of delinquency currently on file with CRAs or in the recent past.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.