Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Scoring Model?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Scoring Model?

Just curious who is familiar. I was denied for the premier. Letter stated an abundance of reasons. Also said according to their scoring I had a 611 out of 999. I ended up doing a recon and got approved, but just curious if citI uses an internal scoring for preexisting customers for new apps.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Scoring Model?

I'm not familiar with Citi, but I know most lenders have their own internal risk scoring/model. Congrats on your recon approval though! A little time with Citi and I'm sure your internal score will rise quickly!

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not familiar with Citi, but I know most lenders have their own internal risk scoring/model. Congrats on your recon approval though! A little time with Citi and I'm sure your internal score will rise quickly!

Hi JM3.  I think the OP may have already been with Citi for a while.  He has a Citi Forward card.

To the OP (RegularArmy): if you are sure that Citi said that the score range went up to 999, then it is definitely not the FICO 8 (max 850) or the FICO 8 Bankcard Enhanced (max 900).  Current Vantage tops out at 850, and the previous Vantage model at 990.

I googled CREDIT SCORE RANGE 999 and saw some images returned.  One image seemed to imply that 999 is the top for a range used by Experian in the UK:

http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/experian-credit-score.html

Since I see you are in the armed forces and may be overseas, is it possible that a UK-based score was used?

Interestingly, 4 years ago your same question was asked by someone else here on the Forum (who describes seeing it on a Citi approval letter).  Also a top range of 999.  No one was able to answer the guy's question then either.  Perhaps this time someone will know.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/What-Scoring-method-is-this/td-p/1003518

As you say, it could easily be an internal scoring model used by Citi.  Did the denial letter give the full range (bottom - top)?

Message 3 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Citi should be using Bankcard but, as stated above, the top of the range isn't 999.

Message 4 of 6
Transmogrifying_Bee
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just curious who is familiar. I was denied for the premier. Letter stated an abundance of reasons. Also said according to their scoring I had a 611 out of 999. I ended up doing a recon and got approved, but just curious if citI uses an internal scoring for preexisting customers for new apps.

I'm still somewhat confused about a credit score system having 999 as the top of its range.

When I applied to CITI for a credit card in May, 2013, they pulled from Equifax a score that had a range from 250 to 900, which implied they used the FICO Bankcard Score 8 version.  My cc approval letter did not actually mention FICO itself.

CITI currently offers free monthly credit scores to customers having select cards, including my Diamond Preferred MC.  These scores are clearly identified as being "FICO Bankcard Score 8" scores, again with a score range of 250 - 900.

The older VantageScore 1.0 and 2.0 versions had a score range of 501 - 990 (the newer 3.0 version ranges from 300 to 850), but I've never heard of CITI using any of the VantageScore models.

RegularArmyLieutenant23, are you certain the CITI letter mentioned 999 as the upper limit, or is it possible you recollected the wrong number?  The number 900 seems more likely, at least based on my experience with CITI.

FICO Score 8: EQ 823 EX 817 TU 825 **** VantageScore 4.0: 825 **** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 823 EX 826 TU 825
TOTAL CL (6 cards): $141.0K **** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 0(1) EX 0(0) TU 0(0) **** UTILIZ: 1 % **** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 840+
r>>
Amex BCE 30K || NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 25.0K || Discover it 14.5K **** CLOSED 7 cards **** GARDENING since 9-26-2014
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Transmogrifying_Bee.  You wrote:

RegularArmyLieutenant23, are you certain the CITI letter mentioned 999 as the upper limit, or is it possible you recollected the wrong number?  The number 900 seems more likely, at least based on my experience with CITI.

Yep, I also asked RegularArmy the same question and for the same reason.  We haven't heard back, but perhaps he still has the letter and can quote us the exact words they gave him (with the full range).  It would be great if he could double check this.

That said, the person I mentioned from four years ago also mentions receiving a letter from Citi with a score that has a range going up to 999 drawn on Experian data.  And I was able to find a link to the British Experian site that shows that they do have a score that runs to 999.

It's possible that under certain circumstances Citi uses a score different from FICO 8 Bankcard, odd though that seems to you and me.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.