Frequent Contributor
andyaycw

Citi Student Cards: Why Wasn't I Denied?

[ Edited ]
11 months after obtaining my very first credit card with Citi, I find myself asking why they even accepted me in the first place.

Prior to applying, I had been listed as an A/U on my dad's credit card account for two months, which I found out later didn't even report Authorized Users to any of the three CRAs. I applied for the Citi Dividend Platinum Select Card for College Students and my application was Accepted with an initial credit line of $1200 (I later converted this card to the regular Platinum Select card). One month later, I applied for the Driver's Edge for College Students card and was also approved with an initial credit line of $1000. I am very grateful and fortunate that I wasn't denied. It really got me thinking, however, of why Citi even bothered with taking a chance with me and not only granting me credit, but what I considered at the time to be a very generous initial credit limit. I had absolutely no credit history whatsoever, so it boggles me as to why they accepted me in the first place.

I ask because recently, I have heard of some people who were denied for Citi's Student cards due to insufficient established credit history. I was wondering if anyone might have any idea of why they didn't deny me when they could very well have. Citi has been very generous to me; I started out with initial credit limits of $1000 and $1200 but through the course of one year they have increased them up to $2800 and $3200. I also found out that my Driver's Edge for College Students card was upgraded to the regular, non-student Driver's Edge Options Platinum Select - I never requested this and the only reason I can think of why they upgraded me is a simple mistake on their part: perhaps an accidental conversion of the card...? but even that is hard for me to believe.

Message Edited by andyaycw on 07-25-2007 10:29 PM

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score: EX 794, EQ 787, TU 776
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi Student Cards: Why Wasn't I Denied?

andyaycw wrote:
11 months after obtaining my very first credit card with Citi, I find myself asking why they even accepted me in the first place.

Prior to applying, I had been listed as an A/U on my dad's credit card account for two months, which I found out later didn't even report Authorized Users to any of the three CRAs. I applied for the Citi Dividend Platinum Select Card for College Students and my application was Accepted with an initial credit line of $1200 (I later converted this card to the regular Platinum Select card). One month later, I applied for the Driver's Edge for College Students card and was also approved with an initial credit line of $1000. I am very grateful and fortunate that I wasn't denied. It really got me thinking, however, of why Citi even bothered with taking a chance with me and not only granting me credit, but what I considered at the time to be a very generous initial credit limit. I had absolutely no credit history whatsoever, so it boggles me as to why they accepted me in the first place.

I ask because recently, I have heard of some people who were denied for Citi's Student cards due to insufficient established credit history. I was wondering if anyone might have any idea of why they didn't deny me when they could very well have. Citi has been very generous to me; I started out with initial credit limits of $1000 and $1200 but through the course of one year they have increased them up to $2800 and $3200. I also found out that my Driver's Edge for College Students card was upgraded to the regular, non-student Driver's Edge Options Platinum Select - I never requested this and the only reason I can think of why they upgraded me is a simple mistake on their part: perhaps an accidental conversion of the card...? but even that is hard for me to believe.

Message Edited by andyaycw on 07-25-2007 10:29 PM

You probably PIF every month, don't you? I did that for a couple of months at one point and they automatically gave me a CLI. Citi Bank is awesome as long as you pay your bills on time. lol (unlike *cough*Crapital*cough*One*cough*)....
Established Contributor
trinigal

Count your blessings honey and continue to be responsible with the cards, you're making a sound investment in your future financial health:smileywink:
Established Contributor
FICO_Focused

trinigal wrote:
Count your blessings honey and continue to be responsible with the cards, you're making a sound investment in your future financial health:smileywink:

Cheers to that advice!

Rob

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+