cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification and help needed

tag
LancerClone

Clarification and help needed

I've been reading this forum and want to make sure I understand what I need to do. Thanks in advance for helping me out on this.

I received a letter stating a CA is attempting to recover a debt for a credit card which doesn't show up on any of my CRs anymore. I live in IL, but the credit card was originally issued to me when I lived in Iowa.

If I am understanding everything, I need to write a Debt Validation (DV) letter and send it certified mail, return receipt requested. My problem is since the account no longer shows up on my CR, how can I be sure that the SOL has run out? I believe Illinois' SOL is 5 years. Is this correct? If it is, that should mean I am clear since the account no longer shows up on my CR, correct?

So my first step is where do I get a good DV letter?

Once again, I appreciate any help as from what I have found this is a junk debt collection agency known for illegal tactics. Also, I am able to pay this debt off if it would just be easier.

Message Edited by LancerClone on 11-13-2007 08:28 PM
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Clarification and help needed

LancerClone wrote:
I've been reading this forum and want to make sure I understand what I need to do. Thanks in advance for helping me out on this.

I received a letter stating a CA is attempting to recover a debt for a credit card which doesn't show up on any of my CRs anymore. I live in IL, but the credit card was originally issued to me when I lived in Iowa.

If I am understanding everything, I need to write a Debt Validation (DV) letter and send it certified mail, return receipt requested. My problem is since the account no longer shows up on my CR, how can I be sure that the SOL has run out? I believe Illinois' SOL is 5 years. Is this correct? If it is, that should mean I am clear since the account no longer shows up on my CR, correct?

So my first step is where do I get a good DV letter?

Once again, I appreciate any help as from what I have found this is a junk debt collection agency known for illegal tactics. Also, I am able to pay this debt off if it would just be easier.

Message Edited by LancerClone on 11-13-2007 08:28 PM

The SOL is the same for both states. Do you have copies of old CR that show the DOFD from the OC??     If not call them & see if they still have your account. find out from them when it was a CO.

Then send a DV to the CA  CMRRR   and be sure to ask for complete account history.

If they do not answer within 30 days they must stop reporting!!!!
Message 2 of 4
LancerClone

Another couple of questions. I pulled all 3 CRs, and the OC is no longer on any of the three. Can the CA place a collection TL on my CR since the original debt has aged off and it is beyond the SOL?

As a note, the CA is one of the bad JDBs, Portfolio Recovery Associates, which means even if they can't, they may try.

Also, they say they purchased the debt back in September, and mailed my the letter on Oct. 30th. As of today, no TL has shown up on my CR. If I pay, will they put a TL on my CR? Do I send a DV letter or a PFD letter even though it's not showing up on my CR?

Thanks in advance for the help. This is a "baddie" that fell off, and I don't want it coming back.
Message 3 of 4
LancerClone

Still looking for some help here.  Anyone with suggestions??

This is still not showing up as a TL, and I would like to get this straightened out without a TL on my CR. 
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.