Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning Credit

tag
rainbowbrite
Established Member

Cleaning Credit

Hi, I am cleaning up my credit and wanting to stay on top of it for the rest of my life.

In what manner would you do it.

1. Get 3 credit reports and go from there.

2.  Join what???to monitor my credit report.  Is there a 1,2,3 plan to get your credit going?

thank you

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Re: Cleaning Credit

Rainbow brite stay on one question in board trying to assist you! Did you get your reportss yet?

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 2 of 16
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@rainbowbrite wrote:

Hi, I am cleaning up my credit and wanting to stay on top of it for the rest of my life.

2.  Join what???to monitor my credit report.  Is there a 1,2,3 plan to get your credit going?

thank you

Yea, get all 3. You can get all 3 for free via annualcreditreport.com. These reports contain info critical in your repair journey, and you cannot find this info elsewhere (unless you pull your reports from the CRAs themselves).

Definitely consider subscribing to a credit monitoring service (CMS). It's a great way to track changes to your CR. Depending on the service, you can track on a regular interview. It's handy to see if there are any changes after sending DV letters, PFD letters, GWs, and so on and it beats spending $10+ on a new report to see that.

For more info on CMSs, be sure to check out the CMS Guide.

Message 3 of 16
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Hi rainbowbrite,

To save you money, Dont buy the scores when pulling your Free CR's from annualcreditreport.com

The scores are what we call FAKO"s, not a real FICO scoreSmiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 4 of 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@rainbowbrite wrote:

thank you

Kind of expensive, but if you can afford it get the CMS for each bureau and myFICO EQ scorewatch. It total's about $60 a month but you have all info. available daily and daily pulls on each bureaus report.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LIGHTNIN wrote:

Hi rainbowbrite,

To save you money, Dont buy the scores when pulling your Free CR's from annualcreditreport.com

The scores are what we call FAKO"s, not a real FICO scoreSmiley Wink

+1 Great advice LIGHTNIN.

I also think IIecs has given you perfect advice, as well as LS has too.

Best of Luck.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats and welcome.  I started the same journey in Aug 2011. 

yes, first I would get a copy of all three reports (FREE ANNUAL REPORT).  I would look for errors etc and start challenging older accounts etc.

I would clean up as much as you are able on your own- then buy a copy of your scores.    I previously subscribed to creditreport.com which is about

$14 a month.  If you call to cancel within the trial period they will drop your rate to around $7 a month.    Smiley Tongue   

I made the mistake of signing up for Lexington Law- about 100 text messages and emails later I was finally able to get them off my back.

Just dont do it. 

Message 7 of 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Never had problems with lexington. they did their job and I relieved them of their duties afterward. What did they do to try to stay with you?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was about to use lexington law as well..glad I didn't

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

At the time it appeared they had some interesting information about clearing debt on their website- which is why I signed up to the website.
I was able to clean up my credit without their assitance but their text messages and constant emails were...annoying. 

I guess if you have some stubborn collectors perhaps they are helpful.  Just dont sign up to the website unless you want their help.  That is my opinion.

But whatever works for you.

Here are the steps I took.

Get copies of all three of your reports.

Challange everything.  A lot of mine fell off just through challenging but some of my debts were old.

However Sprint fell off and that was a recent debt.

What you are left with pay- but try and get a pay for delete letter.  Also, try and settle for about 1/2 on the dollar.  Then ask for a pay for delete letter.

Good luck to you.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.