Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning up His Credit & Building Good

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cleaning up His Credit & Building Good

Hello everyone. I am new the the boards Smiley Happy. My question has to do with my husband's credit report and score. We are currently in the process of cleaning up his credit report and establishing good credit for the both of us. Our goal is to be able to own a home in the future (the sooner the better?). My husband started out at approx $6,000 in debt to various companies. As of last year we had this all down to 4 items on his report totaling approx $900 . We have paid off two collections, and I disputed one and it was deleted. I am int he process of disputing the last item on that report and will then pull another report to see how it looks. This week we went and applied for a Secured Visa Credit Card, and were told we would receive it in about 2 weeks. We put the card balance at $300, and plan to use it to pay for our groceries each month and then pay the balance immediately. I have done lots and lots of research, but I was wondering if you all had any suggestions for what else we should be doing. With all of the negative items paid off on his report, will it still take a long time for him to build up his score? The people at the bank told us it would take 2 years, but I have heard from other places that it can go up decently in a matter of months. Do any of you know? I have absolutely no credit history, so will it take long for my score to build up with this one card? Thank you for your help Smiley Happy.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cleaning up His Credit & Building Good

It is always to get as many baddies off your CR....FICO doesn't care if a CO is paid or unpaid!!

The accounts were paid to the OC or CA??  what was the DOFD on them

Baddies drop 7-7.5 years from DOFD  not the date that you paid.

Does DH have any CC  that are good & have no baddies (late pay) that he can add you as AU?
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The accounts were paid to the CA. How do I find out the DOFD? DH have no CC. If an account is paid can it still be disputed to come off of the report? Is it worth a try?
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

All you can do is try a dispute & see if it drops........because you don't know the OC and what the DOFD was   you need to look at what date the CA says it will drop.

You can also send them a GW

Message Edited by HappyDays on 03-20-2008 12:41 PM
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Experian credit report says that they will be removed next year (2009), so if we are aggressive in building our good credit are the chances of his score improving in the next year or two very good?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.