cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning up my credit report....desperate please help!!

tag
cvvera01

Cleaning up my credit report....desperate please help!!

I am a young single parent, college grad, with a good job. I am currently making $43,000 a year and plan on moving up with in the company I am employed at the moment. They pay for my schooling, and since law school is not an option at the moment, I plan on having them pay for my paralegal degree at least. This will increase my earning ability and my financial situation overall.

I need some help in cleaning out my credit report because of 2 reasons:

1. The car I financed last Apr.2007 is acting up and I need a secure vehicle, I still owe $13,000 on the car at a 17% rate. I have been told I can continue to use the car but just ensure to keep up with the maintenance, I am still scared that it will leave me stranded one day. I need a car since I am a single parent and I work about 45 minutes from where I live, the car is not a luxury but a necessity.
  2. My lease will be up in June and I either want to be able to rent in a good area of the city, or just go all the way and purchase a home (condo or townhouse) in Chicago.

I have received a check for some additional work I did recently, and I want to put it to good use and clean up my credit. I want to pay down my collections and whatever is on my report, but I want to do it the best way possible. I want to pay off or clear up the most off of my reports that will give me the best chances to increase my scores overall, and the fastest way possible since my lease is up in June of this year.

This is what my reports state:

TRAN- 644 (22 inquiries)

EQF-538 (9 inquiries)

EXP-654 (4 inquiries)

Most of my reports have the same information and experian has the least (hence the better score) I can see duplicate accounts with just a different company name or a typo on the account #. Equifax has the worst items listed under accounts due to the cell phone account being listed as 120+ days overdue, and peoples gas showing twice with late payments and charge offs.

This is a brief description of my combined reports.

Care Credit $0 bal $1000 limit

Kohls credit card  $176 bal

Commonwealth $300 bal. charge off (it’s an account I am disputing because they charged me for service after a year of my lease ending, I need to know how to go about doing this. I have my lease and it shows exact dates and that the bills are incorrect)

Bank One $0 bal (paid in full) co-signer on a line of credit but had 3 late payments in 2004

School loans $15, 916 and $2,340

Apt. lease $2796 1 late payment in Oct of 2007 which I am disputing because I have never been late.

Peoples Energy charge off closed in 07/04 (this shows twice ) (it’s an account I am disputing because they charged me for service after a year of my lease ending, I need to know how to go about doing this. I have my lease and it shows exact dates and that the bills are incorrect)

Wells Fargo Auto $12,832 bal.

Baxter Credit Union Auto loan paid in full on 10/07

Collections

Cell Phone $205 last reported 03/08

Doctor bill  $207 last reported 03/08

Commonwealth Edison $345 last reported on 02/08(same issue as the peoples energy disputing because they kept charging me for service even after my lease was over)

Comcast cable $395 last reported 04/07

Bank TCF $222 last reported 10/06

3 Hospital bills totaling $487 last reported date on these accounts was 11/07

5 paid collections with close dates 03/05 and 06/03.

I truly need a plan and need to get started right away, please help me in any way you can. I will be in debt for the rest of my life.Thank you in advance....

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
dragnldy
Regular Contributor

Re: Cleaning up my credit report....desperate please help!!

It doesn't give you much time to work on things if you're trying to get this all worked out by June.  DV all unpaid collections.  Search the threads for DV letter to give you a start on those.  Send them all CMRRR.  GW the paid collections and late postings.  Again, search for GW letter for examples.  Your scores aren't as bad as they could be with all the collection activity.  Be glad you have a little leway.

Once the DVs are complete, they have 30 days to respond with all information requested.  Hence the CMRRR.  Then you know when to start the 30 day time limit from when the CA received it.  If  they answer the DV then you can try to PFD.  Not all will do this.  Depends on how old the collection is and whether they choose to just be a----s about it.  Paid collections are the same as unpaid in FICO scoring.  Need to keep pestering them for deletes on payments as long as you can until they give in.  They want money, you have the money, but you have the leg up on how long you can wait unless they attempt to file a judgement.  Once again, that's where the DV CMRRR can come in handy. 

Have you ever been late with WF?  You can try to negotiate a lower interest rate.  17% is awfully high.  Perhaps you could see if another company could do you better if WF is unwilling to lower your current rate.  As for the car, you might see if there are some single-parent workshops around to help.  Here, they have them for single moms about twice a year.  Or you could call the college automotive department and see if you could have them work on your car for their maintenance classes. 
Ficos
3/7/08 TU-646 EQ-640 EX-650
3/17/09 TU-678 EQ 666
3/20/12 TU- 760 EQ 785
Util almost 0 and baddies all gone! now to gardening!
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

cvvera01 welcome to the forum.

TRAN- 644 (22 inquiries)

EQF-538 (9 inquiries)

EXP-654 (4 inquiries)

INGs are listed for 2 years BUT    only count the first year.   Are any of the ings  from a CA?

They do not have PP to do a hard pull

Most of my reports have the same information and experian has the least (hence the better score) I can see duplicate accounts with just a different company name or a typo on the account #. Equifax has the worst items listed under accounts due to the cell phone account being listed as 120+ days overdue, and peoples gas showing twice with late payments and charge offs.

Everything on your CR MUST be 100% accurate    how you handle it makes a difference on who is reporting  the OC or a CA.

Commonwealth $300 bal. charge off (it’s an account I am disputing because they charged me for service after a year of my lease ending, I need to know how to go about doing this. I have my lease and it shows exact dates and that the bills are incorrect)

Is this an OC reporting or a CA?  If the bill incurred while you were living there?

If they charged you for service (lack of a better word) and the DATE of this service is a year after you moved   You not only can dispute it but file an ID theft report. You MUST be very sure!!

Apt. lease $2796 1 late payment in Oct of 2007 which I am disputing because I have never been late.

Who is reporting the OC or a CA?  handled different for each

If the OC is reporting  dispute with all CRAs reporting as * never late*

If the dispute comes back *verified*     send the OC the OC letter   CMRRR

Bank One $0 bal (paid in full) co-signer on a line of credit but had 3 late payments in 2004

No biggy      not hurting as far as scores go

School loans $15, 916 and $2,340                   just never be late!!!!

Peoples Energy charge off closed in 07/04 (this shows twice ) (it’s an account I am disputing because they charged me for service after a year of my lease ending, I need to know how to go about doing this. I have my lease and it shows exact dates and that the bills are incorrect)

Again     if the bill is for service while you were living there (final bill)  you owe it!  IF the service is a year after you moved dispute as *not mine*     If it comes back verified....send the OC letter CMRRR (I am taking that this is the OC reporting)

COLLECTIONS

FICO doesn't care if it is paid or unpaid   you want all collections OFF your CR if possable!!!!

Federal SOL is 2 years!!!     Who is reporting the OC or a CA (im guessing just a CA) If that is correct  send a DV  CMRRR

Paid or unpaid    if paid who did you pay?   what is the date of service?    What is your SOL? Usually Dr. do not report....they assign it to a CA

unpaid all hospital and medical     If owed  it is always better to pay the OC if possable and wait to do anything about the CA.

simple SOL   http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20040116b2.asp?caret=8

Keep in mind that the REPORT date is only that....the last time that it was reported and every time that it is updated brings it to look current to FICO

Some states have NO SOL on hospital bills but do on other medical. what is the date of service?  who is reporting OC or CA

start sending GW letters      They should drop from CR approx 7 years from DOFD/DOLA  not paid date!

OC (comcast) or a CA      report date only means that this is the last date that they reported! What is the DOFD?

On almost everything the DOFD/DOLA you need to know as it sets CRTP and SOL!

The date the account CO  closed mean nothing. The report means nothing as far as CRTP or SOL

SOL can be reset (most states) by any kind of payment and without a PFD will remain on your CR until the 7 years are up.

When trying to pay old bills it is easier to get a PFD if past SOL!!!

LINK for newbies...it has all the abbrevs that we use and frequently requested thread that is full of info.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=generalcredit&thread.id=38534

CRTP v SOL

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=generalcredit&thread.id=17466

IMO  never dispute a CA.....first DV  CMRRR    bur try to know the DOFD/DOLA   as CAs are known to change dates.

Please flee free to ask as many question as you need and as many times as you need!!!!!

IF bill is outstanding I would pay the hosp.

Message 3 of 4
cvvera01

Thank you so much for your help Happy Days I have seen a lot of your threads and it looks like you know what you're talking about. Here are the answers to your questions:

INGs are listed for 2 years BUT    only count the first year.   Are any of the ings  from a CA?

I found 1 CA in TU, can I dispute this since you said they do not have PP to do a hard pull?

Also in TU around this time last year there where 8 inquiries when I bought my car from 4 different lenders 1 company shows 3 pulls with in a matter of  4 days (EQ has the same for this inquiry). Two other companies show up twice within 48 hours and the others only once. Can I dispute this? Should I since it will be a year exactly in 1 week? I have read that it doesnt affect you after a year but I want to make sure, every little bit counts and even if it is 1% and I can fix it. I want to do it.

They do not have PP to do a hard pull

Everything on your CR MUST be 100% accurate    how you handle it makes a difference on who is reporting  the OC or a CA.

Is this an OC reporting or a CA?  If the bill incurred while you were living there?

If they charged you for service (lack of a better word) and the DATE of this service is a year after you moved   You not only can dispute it but file an ID theft report. You MUST be very sure!!

Every time I talked to a different CA they had me fax in the lease and I did but nothing ever happened. I was so young and inexperienced I just let time go by. Yes, I am sure. My lease ended in 11/03 and they charged me well up 06/04 on top of late charges, disconnection fees, etc. I dont understand why I should file an ID theft report? The landlord didnt really have anything to do with it it was more the utility company that made this mistake. They tell me that I never called to cancel. My ex-boyfriend called so I could never be certain but even if he didnt wouldnt the fact that my lease ended at a certain point be enough to prove I didnt use the service? Also this is showing up as an account but with charge off or bad credit not on it from the OC and in collections it shows under a CA name. Also in EQ it shows a different amount (about $40 less) than when it shows up in the other CRA's as either an account or collection.This one is critical should I talk to OC even after all of this time?

Who is reporting the OC or a CA?  handled different for each

If the OC is reporting  dispute with all CRAs reporting as * never late*

In TU it is the OC, and EQ it shows as their bank name not the management company should I still go through the CRA's like you mentioned above?

If the dispute comes back *verified*     send the OC the OC letter   CMRRR

The OC letter or the CRA letter?

No biggy      not hurting as far as scores go

This has a flag on the report which means it is hurting my score, doesnt it?

School loans $15, 916 and $2,340                   just never be late!!!!

Got it!! Do you know how I can negotiate a lower payment with these people though?

Again     if the bill is for service while you were living there (final bill)  you owe it!  IF the service is a year after you moved dispute as *not mine*     If it comes back verified....send the OC letter CMRRR (I am taking that this is the OC reporting)

Same thing here as above with Commonwealth this is the OC reporting. I know I owed like $20 for Com Ed and probably $75 at the most to Peoples but the rest is not mine.  I think this one is the biggest impact on my score, am I right? Also this is showing up as an account but with charge off or bad credit not on it from the OC and in collections it shows under a CA name. This one is critical should I talk to OC even after all of this time?

COLLECTIONS

FICO doesn't care if it is paid or unpaid   you want all collections OFF your CR if possable!!!!

Federal SOL is 2 years!!!     Who is reporting the OC or a CA (im guessing just a CA) If that is correct  send a DV  CMRRR

2 years from what date? This one is showing up as an account 120 days past due in EQ, under CA name.

CA I will write them a DV and CMRRR tonight. Anything I should be warned about before I write the letter? I read the threads and understand the concept, but just wondering if there is anything I should be aware of? Should I negotiate 50% in stead of paid in full?

Paid or unpaid    if paid who did you pay?   what is the date of service?    What is your SOL? Usually Dr. do not report....they assign it to a CA

Unpaid, this is the CA cut I know the OC pretty well, I am sure he will not be reluctant to delete from my CRA.

unpaid all hospital and medical     If owed  it is always better to pay the OC if possable and wait to do anything about the CA.

simple SOL   http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20040116b2.asp?caret=8

Keep in mind that the REPORT date is only that....the last time that it was reported and every time that it is updated brings it to look current to FICO

Some states have NO SOL on hospital bills but do on other medical. what is the date of service?  who is reporting OC or CA

These are all reported by CAs but can I still go to the OC if already at a CA? If so how? Do you need the date of service or can it be the Date Assigned? If so these are the dates assigned:

TU - $188 07/04, $199 05/04. EX - $100 04/05.

start sending GW letters      They should drop from CR approx 7 years from DOFD/DOLA  not paid date!

I will look at these dates, and start writing, if paid to the CA I should address the letter to them, correct?

OC (comcast) or a CA      report date only means that this is the last date that they reported! What is the DOFD?

CA 02/07

On almost everything the DOFD/DOLA you need to know as it sets CRTP and SOL!

The date the account CO  closed mean nothing. The report means nothing as far as CRTP or SOL

SOL can be reset (most states) by any kind of payment and without a PFD will remain on your CR until the 7 years are up.

When trying to pay old bills it is easier to get a PFD if past SOL!!!

LINK for newbies...it has all the abbrevs that we use and frequently requested thread that is full of info.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=generalcredit&thread.id=38534

CRTP v SOL

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=generalcredit&thread.id=17466

IMO  never dispute a CA.....first DV  CMRRR    bur try to know the DOFD/DOLA   as CAs are known to change dates.

Just to clarify that I understand, DV CMRR with DOFC/DOLA and if no response then dispute with CRA?

Please flee free to ask as many question as you need and as many times as you need!!!!!

IF bill is outstanding I would pay the hosp.

I truly appreciate your help, thank you so much. I also have some auto and mortgage questions so I will be posting some threads there hope you can help. You are becoming my guardian angel Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.