Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close account?

tag
ccsauer
Contributor

Close account?

Hey, I have a CC account sitting around, and I'm not using it. My first concern/question is, will they ever just close it for no reason since I'm not using it? Am I safe just _having_ that account around?

Second, if I'm looking to lower my utilization, what is the downside of CLIs? do they do a hard pull for that? Is there any negative if I am rejected? Should I wait for my mortgage to show up on my report? Any ideas? I'd like to raise the Cl's on all my accounts to decrease my util, but i don't know if that's a bad thing.

Thanks, as always!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Close account?

increading your credit limit is always a good thing. There is no harm at all. Not many creditors do a hard pull for CLI. As long as you have been perfect with them regarding paying on time, you should be okay. That card that you have just sitting around, use it once in 3 months or so. Put like gas or food on it and pay it off when the statement arrives. You don't want to lose a TL that is helping your util in case they close that card.
Message 2 of 7
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Irvin wrote:

Not many creditors do a hard pull for CLI.

Hmm - I am not sure I agree with that.  Chase do and Juniper do, as far as I know. That is - they do it if the customer is asking for the CLI

Not to mention Cingular when you add a new phone line to an existing plan.  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 7
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

IMO, there are less cases where a hard inq is required for a CLI.

I recommend asking first.
Message 4 of 7
ccsauer
Contributor

Neither BoA (Visa and MC) cards I have required a hard pull, and both of them increased my limit, one by 80% Smiley Wink thanks guys! my util just went down tremendously! Now I have to work on my actual debt declining!
Message 5 of 7
ccsauer
Contributor

By the way, anyone know how chase world mastercard reports credit limits? I checked my report, and it shows my high balance, but not my pseudo-limit. Is this becasue i ahve the ability to go over limit as long as I pay down to the limit every month? How does this effect my util? will it be by my high limit from my past?
Message 6 of 7
ccsauer
Contributor

bump
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.