cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed account, Dispute or Wait to be reported?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed account, Dispute or Wait to be reported?

Looking for some advice; I currently rent a home and my landlord is putting it up for sale in January, so giving me a couple months to get my credit up.  I'm borderline right now, but I have one old joint account with my ex-wife that I wasn't aware of until September.  It's a big one and with it off my credit it would drop my credit utiliztion from around 55% to almost 15%, so I would figure that would bump my score some, hopefully above borderline.

So she closed it on September 17th, her(our old joint) credit union, reports (supposedly) on the 16th, so missed it by a day, I even called them and verified that was the date.  So anyways, it's now almost November, it didn't report on an updated credit report (from creditkarma) from yesterday, all my other cards that report after the 17th were showing new balances, this one is still reporting the old $4900 balance from September.  At this point, am I being impatient or is there a way to force the reporting bureas to check with the credit union and verify it's closed?  Would that be classified as a dispute?  Should I just be patient and see if it shows up "closed"?

With a January deadline I wasn't sure what was best for my credit and timeline, wasn't sure how long a dispute would take and if it woud ding my credit or not vs. just waiting and hoping the darn thing closes and take a chance it isn't reported by January.  Or if they were another way of forcing the bureaus to basically "ping" the credit union to verify it was closed.  And I've pestered my ex 3 times and she's verified from them it's been closed and actually picked up some docmentation from them today that supposedly says it's closed.

Any advice would be much greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Closed account, Dispute or Wait to be reported?

Wait for their next regular, monthly reporting.

What they reported was accurate at the time.

Creditors are required to promptly update so as to reflect current accuracy.  A reasonable interpretation of promptly updating would be in the next regular reportting cycle and not a requirment to update as soon as any information changes.  That would be an unreasonable requirment.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.