Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed collection

After pulling my CR, I found a collection that I did not know that I had for a whopping 41.00 from the hospital that I work at from 2009. I called the business office and took care of the debt and insisted that they delete it from my CR and they told me they would. I realize now that I should have probly gone thru the CA. The 41.00 collection is still on my EQ report showing "Closed".

Can I have this deleted? Should I contact the OC or the CA to see about a deletion? I realize it's only 41.00 but its still showing as a collection.  Thanx

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Closed collection

There is no mechanism for requiting its deletion.

If the debt collector still had collection authority at the time it was paid, they need only close the collection and update the balance under collection to $0.

If anything, there is basis for not deleting, as the CRA policy, as set forth in their credit reporting manual, is that collections should not be deleted based on payment of the debt.

Recourse is to contact the debt collector and request their good-will deletion.

In a situation where you have a relationship with the OC, it most certainly might help if you could get them to contact the debt collector and support your request.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

There is no mechanism for requiting its deletion.

If the debt collector still had collection authority at the time it was paid, they need only close the collection and update the balance under collection to $0.

If anything, there is basis for not deleting, as the CRA policy, as set forth in their credit reporting manual, is that collections should not be deleted based on payment of the debt.

Recourse is to contact the debt collector and request their good-will deletion.

In a situation where you have a relationship with the OC, it most certainly might help if you could get them to contact the debt collector and support your request.

Thanx for the reply..Should I contact the CA first or the OC?

Message 3 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Personally, I would first contact the OC and ask them to give a call to their debt collector, supoorting your request.

The OC and debt collector have a businesss relationship, and thus the OC presumably has more clout than you.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Personally, I would first contact the OC and ask them to give a call to their debt collector, supoorting your request.

The OC and debt collector have a businesss relationship, and thus the OC presumably has more clout than you.

Thank you for your opinion..I will contact them today and see how it goes.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called the OC and they told me I had to call the CA. I spoke with CA and they where no help at all, refused to remove it but said I could dispute it. I did file a dispute but am not very hopefull as I know it will come back as a warrented collection, but we'll see. Dont know what else to do at this point besides wait. 

Message 6 of 13
racer-x
Valued Contributor

Not sure if this will help, or how well your place of work is willing to help you, but....

I had a few personal loans  that were considered CFA's (consumer finance accouunts which are generally high risk, bad credit type loans/lenders).

They were paid as agreed and closed in good standing, but research told me that they were still hurting me in the FICO scoring system.

So I called the lender where I had these past loans with and explained how I was looking at buying a house and these paid accounts on my credit were actuually hurting my scores because they were considered 'bad credit lending accounts' so to speak.  She couldn't quite grasp what I was telling her, but I asked her if I disputed the accounts with the CRA, would she not verify the accounts within the 30 day time frame.  She agreed, the accounts were deleted by the CRA and my score jumped about 25 pts IIRC.

HDBAGGER - Bagger huh?  That's my next bike.  Got a 2013 Night Rod special for now and a garage full of sportbikes.  My 12 yrs younger than me GF, isn't quite into the baggers yet....but for me and after 20 years of roadracing , the NRS was a happy medium, but now I want some travel amenities...stereo, pack some bags, and roll out!

Message 7 of 13
scorewatcher7
Valued Member

sorry for this issue. it sucks. typically the OC doesn't budge once payment is made to them because they know that once the account has been negotiated down the line, they are no longer obligated to work in your benefit. Their working relationship with the CA is more important.

you should follow what @racer-x said, im paraphrasing, but sometimes the creditor will delete it upon dispute becauase they no longer have any claim to the payment but they won't just offer up a deletion on its own.  You'd be surpised at to how many items get deleted on dispute- valid or not.

Good luck. 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@racer-x wrote:

HDBAGGER - Bagger huh?  That's my next bike.  Got a 2013 Night Rod special for now and a garage full of sportbikes.  My 12 yrs younger than me GF, isn't quite into the baggers yet....but for me and after 20 years of roadracing , the NRS was a happy medium, but now I want some travel amenities...stereo, pack some bags, and roll out!

I just bought a 2012 Ultra Limited after putting lots of miles on a 92 Classic. The Limited is loaded and you cant beat the comfort! Once your GF gets on the back of the "Geezer Glide" she wont want to get off. The bike that is Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@scorewatcher7 wrote:

sorry for this issue. it sucks. typically the OC doesn't budge once payment is made to them because they know that once the account has been negotiated down the line, they are no longer obligated to work in your benefit. Their working relationship with the CA is more important.

@Anonymous should follow what @racer-x said, im paraphrasing, but sometimes the creditor will delete it upon dispute becauase they no longer have any claim to the payment but they won't just offer up a deletion on its own.  You'd be surpised at to how many items get deleted on dispute- valid or not.

Good luck. 

Thats what I'm hopeing for..just filed the dispute today. Keeping my fingers crossed that that they don't acknowlage the account. The CA actually told me that I could dispute it so I'm hopeing thats a good sign.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.