cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed credit cards affect credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed credit cards affect credit score?

This may sound dumb, but I use to gamble online a lot with poker and stuff, and would always close off a card number by calling each credit card company and saying I lost my card. I did this because I don't trust 100% all the online sites with unauthorized charges. This was before some credit card companies offer virtual numbers.

When I look at my credit report, I see that I have 20 accounts, but only 4 credit cards. They include past cards that are now closed because of "lost"

I know, this was stupid to report so many lost cards, but I didn't trust all the online poker sites.

So now, years later, I thought I would ask if this hurts my credit score some, or if it hurts lenders when they see I have 20 accounts, yet only 1-3 have a balance.

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closed credit cards affect credit score?

I just want to note that I didn't immediately close each card after one use, I would use a card for a couple months via different poker sites, pay it off, then close the card by saying I lost it.

Is there a way to get rid of all the closed accounts from my credit report?

Message 2 of 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Closed credit cards affect credit score?

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there a way to get rid of all the closed accounts from my credit report?

Unfortunately, no. Maybe you can ask the OC to remove, but they don't have to. Also, the lost account should only report for a finite time like 2 yrs. Someone stole my acct info off 2 CCs this past year and IIRC, they'll delete exactly two years later. Even if they don't delete, they'll continue to add a positive length of history.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.