Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Credit Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing Credit Cards

I am in some need of advice. I have four credit cards. I got these to build my credit. I have kept them all reasonably low but I dont want them anymore. They are realitively new and they charge me to keep them (my credit was bad) now that I am building my credit back up I am wondering if these will negatively affect my FICO score if I close them with a zero balance. What are your suggestions?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Re: Closing Credit Cards

It will probably hurt your score as they are your oldest accounts
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I should just pay them down to zero and pay the monthly and annual fees? Smiley Mad
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are not giving enough info.  you say new CCs    they are concidered new till about 1 year.

What else is on you CR.........CC count more toward your scores then any other type of loan!!!!
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

3 of them are less than a year old. I have a lot of PAID collections of my CR and some not paid but are medical collections. These credit cards are in good standing and I truely believe that they built my score up but they are a pain to keep paying on them when Im not using them. The annual fee on one is $99. I would like to keep them open but will have to pay hundreds of dollars in fees annually. Will it be worth it in the long run?
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

crylyann wrote:
3 of them are less than a year old. I have a lot of PAID collections of my CR and some not paid but are medical collections. These credit cards are in good standing and I truely believe that they built my score up but they are a pain to keep paying on them when Im not using them. The annual fee on one is $99. I would like to keep them open but will have to pay hundreds of dollars in fees annually. Will it be worth it in the long run?

You scores will go down if you close them. I understand what you are saying about the cost of them.

Have you started on any of you collections yet?
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have started on some of the collections yes. I am trying to do one at a time I am getting so overwhelmed with the whole thing. All teh DV's and the PFD's and everything is making my brain go a million miles a minute.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.