cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Old Accounts

tag
speds

Closing Old Accounts

I have a great credit score but the one negative is that I have too many open accounts (29).

Most are really, really old and haven't been used in years (and won't be).

My question is this: Should I close them or just let them ride? I had heard that closing credit accounts hurts your score but now it's also apparent that leaving them open hurts your score. It seems you can't win in this particular area. What's the better approach - close or leave them?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing Old Accounts

What is your Credit Score now, and is it your FICO from MyFico?
Message 2 of 5
speds

Sorry, I don't know the lingo. It's from Experian - gathered through this site MyFico. And it's 779. I bought the three report thing and thought I would get one report every few months to keep tabs on stuff.  So I have just looked at Experian at this point.

In October, I bought a home and at that point my credit score was 809 but because of inquiries that go along with buying a house (and I opened up a mortage two credit accounts - Home Depot and a furniture one) it dropped to 779. I want to bring it back up now that I am through the home purchase process and the "12 months same as cash" credit card balances for my home improvements are about paid off (will be totally paid off by September).

The only negative thing was that I had four credit inquiries in the past 12 months and the old credit accounts. Being **bleep**, I'd like to clear that all up. I know there is nothing I can do about the inquiries until the "fall off" which will happen in the next couple of months but the open (unused) credit accounts I can do something about if it's adviseable.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well don't take just my opinion as your only advice, as I'm fairly new to this. 

However, I've been reading just about everything that's come up for the past couple weeks and I've learned a few things.

First off as far as I've read, and from what you already said, having open accounts is not a bad thing.  You said yourself that you had a 809 before the inquiries and the two new accounts. 

I would guess that the reason your score fell is like you said, the inquiries, and the fact that the new accounts are viewed as new and also lower your overall average age of accounts.  From what I've learned so far, I would say to keep the accounts open and let the two new ones age as well, when they hit the one year mark they won't be reported as new any longer and by that time the inquiries will no longer matter either.

Those two things in and of themselves should help to get your score back to where it was, let alone the fact that you will have 2 new TL's (trade lines) with positive account history for 12 months each, and that's never a bad thing.

Like I said before I wouldn't take my opinion to heart until some of the other regulars and experts chime in too, but I think you would be best suited to just pay off the new accounts, and keep current with everything as you've obviously been doing very successfully to date.

Hope that helps!

Message Edited by Jamesus81801 on 07-28-2007 09:53 AM
Message 4 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

speds wrote:
I have a great credit score but the one negative is that I have too many open accounts (29).

Most are really, really old and haven't been used in years (and won't be).

My question is this: Should I close them or just let them ride? I had heard that closing credit accounts hurts your score but now it's also apparent that leaving them open hurts your score. It seems you can't win in this particular area. What's the better approach - close or leave them?

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=ficoscoring&thread.id=4402

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.