Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing credit cards with no activity

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Closing credit cards with no activity

Some credit cards I don't use at all and keep in SD for a long time. When I close those cards will they still stay on my report for 10 years or is it 10 years from the last reported activity? I was wondering that if I had that situation should I do a small transaction right before I close the account to keep it showing for as long as possible?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Involver
Valued Contributor

Re: Closing credit cards with no activity

10 years from the date they are closed.
Message 2 of 5
JustinS
Regular Contributor

@red259 wrote:

Some credit cards I don't use at all and keep in SD for a long time. When I close those cards will they still stay on my report for 10 years or is it 10 years from the last reported activity? I was wondering that if I had that situation should I do a small transaction right before I close the account to keep it showing for as long as possible?

+1 to the date they are closed. Technically I'd think account closure should update the DOLA anyway as that is technically an activity on the account.

Message 3 of 5
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It will report for ten years after closure. There's very little point in doing a small transaction right before closing. You'd be adding a few days to the account's age at most. I don't even think your credit report lists the age down to days anyway!

Message 4 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@red259 wrote:

When I close those cards will they still stay on my report for 10 years or is it 10 years from the last reported activity? I was wondering that if I had that situation should I do a small transaction right before I close the account to keep it showing for as long as possible?

As stated above it's from closure.  Individual transactions are not reported to the CRA's.  You can verify by pulling your own reports.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.