Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Co-signing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Co-signing

I was wondering, if I co-sign a student loan with my brother, does that hurt my credit score or anything bad on me??
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Re: Co-signing

only if he misses a payment(s)
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be aware, if he defaults on the loan, they are coming after you.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

But if he doesn't default on the loan, does just by my co-signing does it look bad on me??
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, it will count as a trade line for you, and it shows up on a CR as such.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Last question is outta my territory. To the best of my knowledge it should help a little bit especially if you have no other installment loans on your credit, it show that you are making a healthy credit mix. Be aware that it may drop you a few points, short-term, for the inquiry but as far as long-term is concerned, it should help.

Now onto what I do know: COSIGNING IS A BAD IDEA! I had an ex girlfriend bounce on a car and got it repossessed. A cosigned account is just the same as any other account in your name. IT'S WORSE! IT SCREWS TWO PEOPLE'S CREDIT REPORTS AND NOT JUST ONE. I got the repo of mine though, had to twist some arms. I love the lady that worked with me over at the creditor. She did all she could to take it off mine but insisted on keeping it on my ex's credit. Ahhh ... I love vindictive you-know-whats.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

HAHA ... jinx
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you seriously consider this- you set it up on auto pay - he pays YOU.

This WILL also affect your DTI-

By being able to show a paper trail - you can have this eliminated for a calculation.
Message 8 of 11
dizzier
Established Contributor

co-signing is really a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad idea. I hope you can afford to pick up the tab if anything should happen to your brother. everything he does on that account, good bad or indifferent, is going to affect you.

i hope you know what you are getting yourself into!

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 9 of 11
marty56
Super Contributor

Money and family never mixes very well.

Even if you brother intends to pay the loan, something could happen in the future which would prevent him from making the payments, in which case they will come after you.

You must be sure that you could cover the loan payments if for some reason your brother can't make the payments.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.