cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Co-signor for college loan

tag
Cruizcat

Co-signor for college loan

I was excused as a co-signor for a relative's college loan a year ago.  This loan didn't show up on Equifax credit report anywhere and the amount is not included in my loan balances but is showing on my quarterly Trans Union FICO reports and listed in the total amount I owe creditors.  Just wondering why...

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Veloter
Established Member

Re: Co-signor for college loan

What do you mean you were "excused"?  Usually if you are a co signer, you are just as responsible as the applicant and it would show up on your credit reports.  As far as I know, the only way to be excused would be if the loan was paid off.

Message 2 of 4
slickshoes182
New Contributor

@Veloter wrote:

What do you mean you were "excused"?  Usually if you are a co signer, you are just as responsible as the applicant and it would show up on your credit reports.  As far as I know, the only way to be excused would be if the loan was paid off.

I think the term usually used is "released." And yes, most lenders will allow a cosigner to be released before the loan is completely paid off if sufficient criteria is met... usually something like the primary signer has made payments for at least a year and can qualify on their own. 

But sorry original poster, I have no idea why this is still happening. If it's still updating on TransUnion then I would guess that its an error on the lender's part so you could contact them. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to contact TU about it, too. Sorry I can't offer any more specific advice.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

The CRA would not be the starting point, as they rely upon the reporting of the creditor.

I would start by calling the creditor.  It may be as simple as they just neglected to report the change to each CRA.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.