Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Accounts

I have several collection accounts that I can pay off.  I keep reading this information that if I pay them they will remain on my report for another 7 years.  If I don't pay them they will fall off next year.  I need to know the best way to help my score and clean up my credit.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection Accounts

Nope and Nope.

BTW, welcome to the forums!

Paying a CA does not extend the time it reports on your CRs. It will still fall off as scheduled, whether you pay it or not. Reporting (CRTP) is based on 7-7.5 yrs from DOFD, or the time you first defaulted on the account with the OC. Payment won't change that. However, FICO can be quirky in that if a payment is made, FICO may read it as a new account and your score could drop.

But it is neither here nor there. Paying a CA will not improve your score at all, again it could hurt it. If you want it off now, rather than later, and if your SOL has expired or you have the $$$ to PIF, then send the CA a DV CMRRR first. Once they validate, and if you want to pay, then offer a PFD to the CA. If they agree, then fire off a payment and they will delete. But do not offer a PFD unless you DV first.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.