cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Agencies and credit report question.

tag
legacys7
Regular Contributor

Collection Agencies and credit report question.

If you pay a bill via credit agency that you just found out will be erased in 3 months. Will the bill still come off of your report? In 3 months, it'll be 7 yrs. Or will it show as current and remain on your report longer than the 7 yrs?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Agencies and credit report question.

A collection account will remain in your reports for 7 years, unless you can convince the CA to remove it early. Sometimes if you write them a goodwill letter they will do that.

Message 2 of 7
legacys7
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

A collection account will remain in your reports for 7 years, unless you can convince the CA to remove it early. Sometimes if you write them a goodwill letter they will do that.

Afternoon. Yes. I'm aware of that. My question is about a relative who paid the bill a few days ago, but found out today that the negative will be gone this coming June. What I'm trying to find out is, by it being a current payment, will this stay on longer than the 7 yrs?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@legacys7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Afternoon. Yes. I'm aware of that. My question is about a relative who paid the bill a few days ago, but found out today that the negative will be gone this coming June. What I'm trying to find out is, by it being a current payment, will this stay on longer than the 7 yrs?

Ah, I misunderstood the question. I'm not sure what the answer is on this, but I'd bet somebody with experience with this will come along with an answer.

Message 4 of 7
legacys7
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@legacys7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ah, I misunderstood the question. I'm not sure what the answer is on this, but I'd bet somebody with experience with this will come along with an answer.

No worries. I will wait. Thanks for the help anyways. 

Message 5 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@legacys7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No. The CRTP (Credit Reporting Time Period) cannot be (legally) changed by anyone or any action.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure if it the same thing, but I had a medical bill hit collections (I didn't know about the bill until I saw it on my credit report... they had been mailing the statements and contacting my mom's ex husband whom I do not speak to so I was unaware it existed). When I found out about it I immediately paid it in full then contacted the agency reporting it and they removed it from my report.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.