cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Agencies

tag
dac90

Collection Agencies

I had a couple of credit cards that my dad charged up and didn't pay that were written off a few years ago. (About $13K total) They were turned over for collections.  It seems like every 6 months or so, the account is sold to a new collection agency and they report it on my credit as a new account, which is keeping my credit scores low, even though I have good history on everything else (two car loans - one paid in full last year, no deliquencies, one in good standing.  student loans in good standing.  only one open credit card with a $30 balance).  I've heard that it won't really help to pay them off, it doesn't remove the item from my credit report.  Is that true?  I feel like I will never get past this mistake. :-(  Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: Collection Agencies

hiya dac90,

Did you read the Credit 101 and other FAQ type threads?  Start there.  You should have some success with PFD letters. 

And yes you'll get past the mistake  Smiley Wink 
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.