Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Agency Ignoring my letter!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Agency Ignoring my letter!

I sent a dispute letter/DV letter to a collection agency and instead of them contacting me or writing me back they reported me to the credit bureaus as 120 late. When they did contact me it was to ask me to settle 50% of the debt. They never responded to my letter. What should I do? Aren't they required by law to verify my debt they claim I have.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: Collection Agency Ignoring my letter!

Do you have proof that you sent the letter (rather, that they received it certified)?   In the response asking for settlement did they reference your letter at all?

If so, you already have grounds for a lawsuit since they have not ceased reporting.  I'd dispute online as well with the CBR(s) but feel free to stand corrected if this will set back what is already in progress that might work to your benefit.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just opened my mail and they did respond to my dispute letter saying they were reviewing my account and that all activity on the account would cease until they were finished, however after the letter they reported me to the CB. What should I do?  They lied right?

I'm wondering if I should just settle with the 50%. Would that bring my score up?

Thanks!
Message 3 of 6
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

You can try writing back and requesting the removal of the updated CBR information.  That thread will help you word it so they know you are aware of the law, and apparenly they have violated it.  

Wait for the outcome of the DV before you even consider a PFD.  And keep reading... knowledge is power! 

EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would ask them for a $1000 CHECK.
Message 5 of 6
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

So they reported before validating? Big NO NO and you now have them on violation.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.