Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Agency

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Agency

How long can a collection agency continue to come after someone for a debt? I have collection agency that continues to send letters to collect, however they have not been on any of my credit reports for over 3 years. The account is over 8 years old? It has passed from collection agency to different agency several times in the past several years? I'm looking to buy a house next year if this collection agency shows on my trans union report as inquiries, but not as an  collection account will i have mortgage problems?

Tp
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Agency

Zombie debt collectors can continue to come after you forever.  That being said they cannot reinsert information over 8 years old just tell them not to contact you by phoneand shred the letters after you make them aware that both the SOL and reporing period under the FCRA have passed
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

tp35 wrote:
How long can a collection agency continue to come after someone for a debt? I have collection agency that continues to send letters to collect, however they have not been on any of my credit reports for over 3 years. The account is over 8 years old? It has passed from collection agency to different agency several times in the past several years? I'm looking to buy a house next year if this collection agency shows on my trans union report as inquiries, but not as an  collection account will i have mortgage problems?

Tp

Yes what Brammy said. Not worth bothering about  BUT  keep all hard copies of all CR just incase they try reinserting them on CR....that is your proof
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

So are you telling me that the SOL and the reporting period under FCRA not only are they not aloud to reinsert a old collection account on my Credit Reports, but they also are not aloud to post an inquiry? Or is this something I need to look into with an attorney?
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

guess what I am a debt collector. You should not be pursued if the debt is over 7 years old you need to inform them of that. However here is the bad news if the debt is being reported and has been for the past seven years and is being transfered from here to their that will allow them to keep the bad debt on your report for many years to come. Becuase it is getting updated information. That could mean payment or transfer to another agency. You need to get a copy of your report and find out what is going on

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have copies of my report for past several years. There hasn't been a collection account posted on my reports for at least 3 or 4 years now, however just in the past year or so, on my Trans Union only, there is been a collection company Portfolio showing on my report as an inquiries, not a account re-inserted on report as collection account?
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you pulled all three or just one some companies will only use on reporting agency. If it is the case that their is none on your report you need to let them now they are in violation of the fair debt collecting act.
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always pull all three reports when I want to check my reports for accurate information and FICO Score. The collection agency has only shown on my Trans Union (nothing on Equifax or Experion) as an inquiries it looks like every quarter last year to this year, again not as a re-inserted collection account just an inquiry? So what are you telling me they are in violation for posting an inquiry on my Trans Union report?
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

no not for posting inquiry but for contacting you to get you to pay the account. They should not pursue the account after it has bumped of your reports.
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

So do you suggest let it go? My credit has been 100% excellent the past 4 years. My score just goes up and down as new credit accounts post (Not that I have many) I think my score should be better but my only problem with score is that my accounts are to new? I'm not sure how much the couple inquiries from Portfolio on Trans Union has effected my score? Only thing I'm worried about is next year I want to buy a home and that will be 5 years of excellent credit, i just don't know if these inquiries from collection company will open a problem when i'm appling for mortgage?
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.