Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Agent reporting wrong date to CRA's

tag
Mindnumb
New Contributor

Collection Agent reporting wrong date to CRA's

It is my understanding that a Collection Agent must report the date of debt from the date of last activity from the original creditor. Is this correct?

Original Creditor is CITIBank. Actual date (we THINK) of Last activity 7/2000. The original debt does not show on the original debtors Credit Report. We THINK it is because the 7 1/2 year reporting time has run out.

CA reports debt as new 7/2007 to all three CRA's.

Our plan is to DV the CA. Will this make them report the date correct?

It is our understanding that because our state SOL's has run out (Louisiana, 4 years), and the DOLA is over 7 1/2 years, there is nothing the CA can do. Is this correct?

As part of DV, are they required to give us the date of last activity of the account? We know the date reported now is incorrect, but are not sure of the actual date of last activity.

I know this has been addressed here, but I have no personal experience with CA's so my confidence level low. Any comments, suggestions or history would be greatly appreciated. FWIW, I am trying to help a family member clean up their credit before getting married in the Spring.

If necessary or would work better we are prepared to offer (start at $0.10 on the dollar ($ 120 on $ 1,200) and work our way up) for a PFD.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Agent reporting wrong date to CRA's

Don't offer a dime until they have validated - so DV them ASAP.  If past the 7 years - VIOLATION! 

Bet you they can't validate it
Message 2 of 3
Mindnumb
New Contributor

Re: Collection Agent reporting wrong date to CRA's

Thank You Lady Scarlet. We will do just that. I would assume we should not expect to hear from them again?
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.