cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Bureau of America - Will Not Sign Settlement Offer.

tag
Wangta

Collection Bureau of America - Will Not Sign Settlement Offer.

So I had this month of service for time warner cable that I thought I paid when I disconnected service from them and moved.  I was on automatic withdrawal, and just assumed that if they required payment, they would withdraw it just like they always do.   Apparently on the last bill of when someone terminates, they do not do this and they kept sending bills to the same address (that I moved from - DUH).  

Anyway, they gave it to Collection Bureau of America, who subsequently put it on my credit report.  I found out about it when I was doing a routine check and saw it on my report.  I still have decent credit - 690, but this obviously is hurting me, which is simply annoying.  It's $180 bill.  

So I called Collection Bureau of America.  They seemed ok in the beginning - I positioned it as, I don't really want to do the research on this and dig up my old records to see if I actually paid this (honest to god, I thought I did), so let's just settle it in full - with the agreement you will delete it from my record.  They agree to it, however, THEY want me to sign something saying that I won't go after them for anything, after the deletion occurs.  Is this an odd request?  

Second part is the stickler - so in return, I ask them to sign a simple Settlement Offer, or Agreement to Compromise Debt, which basically says, I'll pay in full and in return, they must delete the record from my credit report.  

Shocker - they refuse to sign anything like that, saying it's company policy.  I ask to speak to the manager - she is quite aggressive, and basically says this account shouldn't even qualify for deletion because yada yada yada, and that they won't sign anything.  I asked her to think about this - she is asking me to sign something, I should have the right to ask the same thing.  She again refuses, still in a very aggressive tone, and says take it or leave it - I just have to trust that they'll do it.  If I pay today, "it can be deleted by the end of the day, I can call anytime and speak to an actual person, I'm the VP of the company (Collection Bureau of America) - you can trust me," etc.  

I'm not sure what to do?  The first person I spoke to (not the supervisor) seemed somewhat pleasant, but I have no idea.  I am reluctant to pay it without getting a guarantee they will delete it - what do I have to lose, it's already on my credit report.  Worst case would be:  I pay, they mark it as closed/paid in full, and they don't delete it.  

Any advice?  Is Collection Bureau of America known to be difficult like this?  

Is it possible to go to timewarner directly and explain (1) I'm trying to work with CBA but they are incredibly difficult to deal with, and (2) see if they can pull back the account from CBA + have mark removed?  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection Bureau of America - Will Not Sign Settlement Offer.

Furnishers are faced with a bit of a dilemma when agreeing to delete in exchange for payment.

It is express CRA policy, incorporated into their reporting agreements, that furnishers should not dlelete reporting based on satisfaction of the debt.

The CRA rationale is to preserve the accuracy of the credit reporting process by not subjectively deletiing accurate information.

To put into writing an agreement to delete is formalizing their lack of ahherence to their reporting agreement.

You have a valid oral contract,although admittedly, oral contracts are a bear to enforce.  I would trust that they comply.

If they dont, you can always file a formal complaint with your local BBB, asserting their poor business practice, or even initiate action for violation of your oral contract.

Message 2 of 4
Wangta

Thanks for the response Robert.  Yes that makes sense.  Question, are you allowed to record a telephone conversation?  I mean, they state in the beginning, this line is recorded blah blah.  Could I do the same and use that as an "oral agreement"?  

Message 3 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Laws vary by jurisdiction.  You need to look into this yourself using appropriate resources.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.