Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Item Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Item Question

My knowledge is a little shallow in a lot of areas....and this is one:

I have an outstanding collection account for a bar review course.  I'm going to pay it today.  I'm assuming, that unlike CCs, the collection will come off the CR as soon as I pay the debt?  The debt is now with a CA, not the OC.

Am I being naive?  Do I have to do some sort of PFD thing?  The debt is still w/i SOL.  Thanks for any help.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Item Question

Paying the debt will get it listed as a paid collection or charge-off. It will NOT come off your credit report, and will continue to hurt your FICO score as if it were unpaid. Go for a PFD.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

you should try to PFD first. Paying a collection will not get it deleted from your report it just updates to paid and stays for 7 years.
Message 3 of 5
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

I second that.  PFD absolutely.

Was it Bar Bri?  There's a class action against them anyway.

ALEXREDD it's very important that this is cleaned up properly as when you have your admissions review... they can look at eeeeverything... so no payments till you get the written response from them you want.

I'd still try to deal with with the OC unless you are saying you've verified that they don't even own it anymore...   sometimes 'we can't do anything it's with a collection agency' is up for interpretation depending on what representative or supervisor you get. 
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 4 of 5
sl
Established Contributor

I would do a PDF.  I got a collection account removed with a PDF and score went up 13 pts.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.