cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Notice From AFNI Collection Agency

tag
kwatk2007

Collection Notice From AFNI Collection Agency

Received Collection notice from AFNI Inc. in regard to a Verizon Account in Maryland(Phone bill)(SOL 3yrs) were it originated but this is the situation the both letters was sent to a address that I do not reside in new york(SOL 6yrs)but is a house I own and i tried to refinance recently and  letters was sent there. AFNI have made inquiries on my CR in 06 but has not placed it on my credit report as of yet. The AFNI bill is probably mine but since I applied for a refi. 2 Ca notices has popped up one from Cavalry which I PFD and have not received response letter as of yet  but received my return receipt and  AFNI  I would like to know what should I do about afni  since I just received the letter and have time to dispute the validity of the debt both are a least 4-5 years old respectively hopefully will get letter soon with response from Cav been about 20 days but just received afni and would like to know how to go about it dealing with this one should i DV or just notify them that i received the letter and let them send me the information they have in reference to this account and do anyone have a sample letter to request validity from this CA

Thanks,
 Everyone
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Notice From AFNI Collection Agency

kwatk2007 wrote:
Received Collection notice from AFNI Inc. in regard to a Verizon Account in Maryland(Phone bill)(SOL 3yrs) were it originated but this is the situation the both letters was sent to a address that I do not reside in new york(SOL 6yrs)but is a house I own and i tried to refinance recently and  letters was sent there. AFNI have made inquiries on my CR in 06 but has not placed it on my credit report as of yet. The AFNI bill is probably mine but since I applied for a refi. 2 Ca notices has popped up one from Cavalry which I PFD and have not received response letter as of yet  but received my return receipt and  AFNI  I would like to know what should I do about afni  since I just received the letter and have time to dispute the validity of the debt both are a least 4-5 years old respectively hopefully will get letter soon with response from Cav been about 20 days but just received afni and would like to know how to go about it dealing with this one should i DV or just notify them that i received the letter and let them send me the information they have in reference to this account and do anyone have a sample letter to request validity from this CA

Thanks,
 Everyone

If I understand this right...you have a collect from verizon in Maryland but you now live in NY??
If so they can go by NY 6 years SOL.  What is the DOFD on both your collections??

Did you dispute them with CRAs???  did you send DV letters asking for complete account histories and stuff    BEFORe you sent a PFD???
Message 2 of 7
George2037
Regular Contributor

Be carefull with AFNI, they are a shady CA.  Several complaints listed with the BBB of Ilinois.  Aparently they bought a large block of Verizon debts that have been sitting after their Merger spree of the late 90's early 2000's.  There is a program that Experian offers CA's that will alert them when there is CR activity as well as FICO increases.  Once a certain point is reached they will attempt to collect the debt banking on the fact the general public do not know their rights and get scared into paying the UNCOLLECTABLE DEBT.

Once my FICO hit 650 with Experian they placed the alledged debt on my CR and updated it weekly until I DV'ed them.  Haven't heard from them since but now getting calls from American Agencies (I think AFNI sold/ passed the account to them).  Even after no response from AFNI to the DV they are still reporting on my EQ CR and after I disputed the TL with EQ they verified it.  Still trying to figure it out.

Oh the alledged debt is from Maryland Dec 2002, I'm still in MD and the SOL has run out.  Not going to do anything with it unless I can't get the EQ TL to be removed. 
Message 3 of 7
kwatk2007

HappyDays I live in Maryland no I did not DV Cavalry they were already on my credit report when I found out by pulling my CR and no I did not dispute with CRA's I just wanted it to go away and was willing to pay the small amount to have the collection deleted so I went directly for the PFD. With AFNI is a different story I went to visit the address in NY and the letter was there so I'm trying to deal with it so that it wont affect my CR like the Cavalry did. I still have time to DV and what  ever else to deal with this before it goes on my report ,they have made inquiry a year ago but have not put it on my CR as a collection yet so I'm trying to find a good DV letter to send AFNI if that is the best approach just to have this have the minimum effect on my CR.

Thanks
HappyDays
Message 4 of 7
kwatk2007

George2037 do you suggest I DV AFNI to find out if they can verify and if they don't  just monitor my reports I have the letter from them saying that I have  30 days to dispute should I just dispute and wait for a response they first inquired my CR in 06 but never placed any collection on it. Also do you have any examples of DV letter.

Thanks
George2037
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the DV letter I've been using.  I've had great success with it on my DH's credit report.

CA Name

CA Address

Ref to Account Number *****

To Whom It May Concern:

It has come to my attention as of (insert date) that you have placed a derogatory remark to my credit bureau files referencing the above-mentioned account which you claim I owe. This is not a refusal to pay, but a notice that your claim is disputed. I am requesting validation, made pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Please note that I am requesting "validation"; that is competent evidence bearing my signature, showing that I have some contractual obligation to pay you.

Please also be aware that any negative mark found on my credit reports from your company or any company that you represent for a debt that I don't owe is a violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act; therefore if you cannot validate the debt, you must request that all credit reporting agencies delete the entry.

Pending the outcome of my investigation of any evidence that you submit, you are instructed to take no action that could be detrimental to any of my credit reports.

If you no longer own this debt, remove the derogatory marks from my credit report per the FCRA. Failure to respond within 30 days of receipt of this certified letter will result in legal action against your company.

For the purposes of 15 USC 1692 et seq., this Notice has the same effect as a dispute to the validity of the alleged debt and a dispute to the validity of your claims. This Notice is an attempt to correct your records, and any information received from you will be collected as evidence should any further action be necessary. This is a request for information only, and is not  a statement, election, or waiver of status.

Type your name, Don't sign it!!

Message Edited by nfg on 11-14-2007 05:02 PM
Message 6 of 7
George2037
Regular Contributor

kwatk,  The DV letter just posted would both dispute the debt and request verification.  They have to remove all TL from CRA until the debt is verified. 

After I DV'ed they sent the account to another agency and removed the TL's.  The new CA hasn't listed the TL but has started calling my work.  Last night I gave them their second warning over the phone notifying them the third noticed will be in the form of a lawsuit.  They requested 48hrs to remove my work number from their records as well as a new number to call, I told them this is their first warning to not contact me about this debt and will be following up with a letter.  Of course every other word out of my mouth started with "I dipute this debt to being mine".  Sounded like a robot Smiley Happy

I normally wouldn't talk to them on the phone but they called my work number (cell at that) and I had to stop them ASAP and couldn't wait on a letter to make it through the mail.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.