Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Question

In October I received a forwarded final bill to my new address from my old water company.  I paid it in full but apparently they had already sent it to a collection agency (the bill was sent in August but I only received it in October) because it popped up in November on my score watch.  Last week I sent a letter to the collection agency address that popped up on score watch asking that they remove this from my report because it was paid in full to the original creditor. Today I received a letter stating that I still owe $55 that were tacked on as collection fees.  How do I handle this? I talked to someone on the phone (which I know is a no-no) and she was unprofessional and rude.  I'm going to send another letter but I'm not sure what this calls for.  I did pay in full the amount that was on the bill that I received from the original creditor.  I never ever received anything in the mail from this collection agency.
Thanks!

Message Edited by VLAJMA on 01-22-2008 04:46 PM
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Question

I am still researching the GLB Act but perhaps the fact that if a debt is 'assigned' to a CA (haven't found the specificcode or case law yet- only a 'blurb') they cannot collect above the original amount of the bill.

Message Edited by Lady_Scarlet on 01-22-2008 08:15 PM
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Question

The Gramm-Leach-Bliley (GLB) Act is codified in 15 USC 6801-6809.  Although everyone can go out there and read it themselves.  IMO, you would be wasting your time.  So, what if you don't get a privacy notice?  There is nothing in the Act that says that you don't have to pay your debt if you don't get notice of the CAs privacy policies and procedures. 
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.