Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Removal Question

tag
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Collection Removal Question

My credit is clean and clear and I am now in the garden with my new credit. I had one collection account that was only on my TU and at the end of last week I disputed it. It was really old and I don't remember it being mine at all. It was going to fall off at the first of 2014. The amount was 95.00. So, I got an email from TU over the weekend saying that the account had been removed. I am very glad but that seemed alittle quick. Do they initally remove the account you are disputing until they get validation or did they get validation that it was not mine that quick? I am happy about it but it felt almost too easy. I have never had removed anything myself before.

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection Removal Question

The CRA is required by statute to conclude their reinvestigation of your dispute within, normally, 30 days.  As part of their reinvestigation process, they are required to send a copy of your disptue to the furnisher of the disptued information, and the furnisher is then required to respond back to the CRA prior to expiration of the CRA reinvestigation period.  Usually having no information to indepently verify accuracy, the CRA will usually rely upon the response from the furnisher as the basis for their finding of their reinvestigation.

If they deleted, that usually indicates that the furnisher did not repond, and thus lacking any basis to verify, they are compelled to delete. 

Deletion for lack of verification is not absolute, as the furnisher could decide to present the lacking verification at a later time.  However, in such cases, the CRA is prohibited from reinserting the deleted information until they have first received the lacking verification.  FCRA 611(a)(5)(B).  Any party wishing to have the information reinserted must first provide pre-certification of its accuracy.  That rarely happens.

Message 2 of 3
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Re: Collection Removal Question

Thanks! So if they do provide verification and it gets put back on my credit, will the CRA show me what they have because I'm pretty sure the account is not mine.

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.