cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection agency reported a disputed charge...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection agency reported a disputed charge...

A collection agency recently reported a charge that I have repeatedly disputed in writing over the past 2 years (with the original creditor along with 3 other collection agencies).

I made it clear in every piece of correspondence that I will pay the charge (it's a "contract termination fee" for a mobile phone provider) IF they prove I agreed to a contract (I believe I was "slammed" by the retailer).

I know I need to make a consumer statement about the charge (and am doing it) but I have a couple of questions

Isn't the company that reports this "bad debt" required to state that it is disputed when they report it?

If yes, what recourse do I have since they didn't report it as disputed?
If no, does the consumer statement really make a difference?

This is my only "bad" item & it's only listed on one of the 3 CR's -  my credit score on that particular CR is more than 70 (SEVENTY) points lower than on the other 2.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection agency reported a disputed charge...

Who is reporting  the OC  CA or both?

You dispute with the CRAs only   and I would NOT dispute the CA until 30 days after you send a DV.

You DV the CAs only  (DV might use the word dispute but it is different)

A paid or unpaid collection will not change your scores. FICO scores them as the same.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.