cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection agency says account will stay on report for 7 years after date I paid it off??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection agency says account will stay on report for 7 years after date I paid it off??

I have an account that sent to collections and is only showing up with the CA. 

The dates are:

Date of first delinquency:   07/2002
Date closed:  09/2002
Date of last payment:  03/2005

Current status:  Collection account
Payment history only shows one late payment code:  120 days in August 2005

I spoke with the CA and they are saying that it will remain on my credit report for 7 years from the date I paid it off:  03/2005.   They are saying that since it was still past due at the time I paid it off then it will be 7 years from that date.   Can this be right?  I thought is was supposed to be 7 years from when it first became delinquent.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection agency says account will stay on report for 7 years after date I paid it off??

twt11 wrote:
I have an account that sent to collections and is only showing up with the CA. 

The dates are:

Date of first delinquency:   07/2002
Date closed:  09/2002
Date of last payment:  03/2005

Current status:  Collection account
Payment history only shows one late payment code:  120 days in August 2005

I spoke with the CA and they are saying that it will remain on my credit report for 7 years from the date I paid it off:  03/2005.   They are saying that since it was still past due at the time I paid it off then it will be 7 years from that date.   Can this be right?  I thought is was supposed to be 7 years from when it first became delinquent.

Once an account is closed for any reason and a payment is made the CRTP does not change!!

If the account is open & you are late making payments....IF at any time you become current  this starts the CRTP over if you become late again.You MUST become current!

SOL   Most states go by DOLA.....any payment at any time will reset SOL.

They lied to you!  Only Public Records....liens,judgments etc.....drop 7 years AFTER being paid!

All other things...like CO  drop 7-7.5 years from DOFD  not when it was paid.

Yours should drop  in 2009

This is not accurate reporting!!!!!  DO NOT talk to a CA!!!  everything in writting!

Who did you pay  the OC or the CA?

Message Edited by HappyDays on 01-26-2008 01:44 PM
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection agency says account will stay on report for 7 years after date I paid it off??

I paid the collection agency.  They are the only ones showing on my credit report.    Should I dispute this with EQ since the date appears to be wrong?
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.