Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection from 2001

tag
vawt
Contributor

Collection from 2001

Had a cable bill a roommate did not pay in college.  Went to collection in Oct 2001.  It still shows as a negative on my report now, but its been 6 years.  I paid it several years ago.  At this point is it really even hurting my score? 

It should come off Oct 2008 at the latest, right?  Or should I try to figure out when it actually became delinquent (sometime that summer) and request to have it removed sooner?  I was thinking that the 7 year window on collections starts when it becomes delinquent, not when the CA starts reporting it.

Scores June-09: EQ 798 TU-785
Scores Mar-09: EQ 792 (getting close) TU-782
Scores Feb-09: EQ- 786 EX- ??? TU-777
Scores Jan-09: EQ- 791 EX- 786 TU-765
Scores Aug-08: EQ- 786 EX- 779 TU- 737
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Collection from 2001

I have one collectio that is over 6 and a half years old.  On the reports where it still exists (for DW and I), the score is an average of 80 points lower than the reports where it does not exist.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

if this is the only baddie on your CR it is hurting- hoow much being this old/ no one Knows

DOFD is what you are looking for,
Message 3 of 4
John060675
Valued Contributor

It would not hurt to send a GW letter, especially since it is PIF.  I had a collection that was 6.5 years old that I GW'ed and they removed it.  It helped my score (ready)................0 !

No change at all.  I doubt something that old will have too much affect on your score, but a lot of lenders still look at you having a collection on your account.

Good luck

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.