Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection items

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection items

In general, when does a collections item begin to matter less as far as your FICO score is concerned?  I have read that paying off some of them has little or no benefit.  Could someone please explain this?  Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection items

JemiBlue wrote:
In general, when does a collections item begin to matter less as far as your FICO score is concerned?  I have read that paying off some of them has little or no benefit.  Could someone please explain this?  Thanks in advance.

I THINK they start hurting less after 2 years BUT  most lenders will make you pay them off first before lending you money (auto loans and mortgages) CCC may refuse credit at all.

A paid collection hurts as much as unpaid (unless old) as far as scores go. That is why advice is usuall given to DV first & then PFD. You want them OFF your CR!

By filing a simple dispute with a CA can bring scores down as they are then updated. After awhile a CA may stop updating.This is in your favor.

A collection when new may drop your scores,say 50 points. Even if you paid it the nexd day, you might only see a 5 point raise in scores.

Scores go down faster then they come up!!
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.