Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection letter from Attorney

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection letter from Attorney

I received a collection letter from a attorney rep Capitol One.
They said they have verified I am employed  and do not take it lightly to wage garnish, and would take me to court and try to have  a judgement to attach wages.
The thing is I have not worked for years I became totally and permantly disabled.
I do not how they think I am employed?
what should I do?
Thank You
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection letter from Attorney

Do they already have a judgment?
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

No
Its just a debt collection letter I rec'd in the mail.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi didi,

First things first - send a debt verification letter to this attorney to verify that this person IS authorized to collect on this debt ("Authorized" means that the person is either acting as an agent for Capital One or the person bought the junk debt portfolio from Capital One and the person now owns the debt).  There are really good examples of DV letters on this board.    Send the letter certified mail return receipt requested.

If the person is authorized to collect the debt:
1) Are you able to pay any of the debt?  If so, negotiate with the creditor to pay the debt.  However, be careful if you are negotiating to pay less than what you owe.  The creditor may report the difference to the IRS, and you may either have to pay taxes on it, or your disability benefits will be affected (if you're collecting benefits from the government) because it will count as income. 

2) If they sue you and win, and you are collecting disability benefits from the federal government (SSDI or SSI), you have nothing to worry about about wage garnishment - federal stipends, such as Social Security, are exempt from wage garnishment except for delinquent taxes and for back child support - here's the law: edited However, if you own property, they can put a lien on your property. 
You may also get a visit from the sheriff's office to find out what you will be required to sell in a sheriff's sale to satisfy the judgement.  
If you are able to work in the future, they may be able to attach a wage garnishment on your paycheck (you'll need to check your state laws on that).

3) If you can't pay the debt because of your income AND you own no property, then the last resort is you may want to consult a bankruptcy attorney about filing for bankruptcy.  Because you are collecting disability, you may be able to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy.   If you have to file for bankruptcy, good bankruptcy lawyers will let you pay the fees in payments.

--

Hi,

Our Credit Repair Discussion Guidelines frown on posting links to sites that promote and\or offer credit repair services.

Thanks for your participation!

- Tusc

Message Edited by Tuscani on 09-08-2007 08:36 PM
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

didi56 wrote:
I received a collection letter from a attorney rep Capitol One.
They said they have verified I am employed  and do not take it lightly to wage garnish, and would take me to court and try to have  a judgement to attach wages.
The thing is I have not worked for years I became totally and permantly disabled.
I do not how they think I am employed?
what should I do?
Thank You

didi,  what is you SOL??  and what is DOFD.  They are going by old info. If they checked thay would know that you are not working.   How is this listed on your CR....OC    CA???

What ever you do...DO NOT TALK TO THEM ON THE PHONE!!!!!!! EVER!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.