Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection showing up twice

tag
engin33ring_eagle
Established Member

Collection showing up twice

I ran my bureau and I saw that I had a BofA CC go under a few years ago and now I have just finished paying a CA the total amount. On my bureau it shows that I have a debt with BofA for the original amount and the CA shows a difference amount (which will soon be zero because I just paid off the amount).

My question is, when  the CA debt is removed, while it also remove the BofA debt? What steps do I have to do in order to ensure this gets taken care of?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
engin33ring_eagle
Established Member

Re: Collection showing up twice

Btw, the CA is the company who bought the loan from BofA.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good question - I have an account like this too that I paid off (before knowing to do a PFD) I was trying to GW the CA, any approach I can take with the OC that might work?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If BoA charged off and sold the debt, they must report a $0 balance. Dispute the balance with the CRA.

engin33ring_eagle wrote:

My question is, when  the CA debt is removed, while it also remove the BofA debt?

As for this question, the CA won't be removed just because you paid it, unless you negotiated a PFD. The CA can only take action on the account they report. If you did do a PFD, that is only good for the creditor that accepted it. The CA can't accept a PFD on the OC's behalf.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, a collection can be listed twice. Sometimes more:

Time #1: the original creditor
Time #2: the collection agency
Time #3: a second collection agency (however, by law, the first CA must list a zero balance if it resells your debt)
Time #4: second collection agency sues you and gets a judgment, and that is listed.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

jsis wrote:
Good question - I have an account like this too that I paid off (before knowing to do a PFD) I was trying to GW the CA, any approach I can take with the OC that might work?

If it is already paid, you must GW whomever is reporting. If CA and OC is reporting, then you must GW them both. One may accept, one may not, neither may accept, both may accept. Never know.
Message 6 of 7
engin33ring_eagle
Established Member

thanks everyone for your help. I completely understand what I'm supposed to do
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.