Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections Account

tag
annah618
Established Member

Collections Account

OK, here is the skinny:
An old (6-7 years ago) hospital bill has shown up in collections on my husband's credit report. It is $94.00. He doesn't think it really belongs to him. We tried to dispute it with the credit bureau but somehow they (experian) misunderstood the dispute and sent us back a letter saying something about his residential address history (I don't remember exactly what it said, this was about a year ago), but nothing about the collections account.

We have not received any bills or phone calls from the collection agency, ever. (He also doesn't remember ever receiving bills from the hospital before he moved to OR either). I do not want to contact the collection agency because I'm worried they'll start hounding us. I have heard of Debt Validation, does this seem like the way to go for this situation?

The debt originated in CA, and we live in OR now. As I understand it, the CA SOL is what applies, which is 4 years. So that means they can't pursue collections, correct?

On his credit report, it says the date it was last active is June 2000. Someone told me collection accounts remain for 7.5 years from the last date of activity so it should be falling off in January 2008, right? If we seek validation, will that count as "activity" and make it stay on longer? If it turns out to be his and we pay it, will that make it stay on longer?

Will we be better off just waiting another 6 months for it to fall off?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collections Account

If you paid the debt and you have already acknowledged that is yours, for you to even consider trying to get a deletion is dishonest. You asked how to get something deleted, I told you I called my collection agency and like all the others in this forum have had success, does not make me dishonest. At least I paid all my debts.
Message 2 of 4
annah618
Established Member

"If you paid the debt and you have already acknowledged that is yours, for you to even consider trying to get a deletion is dishonest."

I disagree with that. According to what I've read on this forum deletion can be a negotiation tool with the CA's or a way to remove items that were due to extenuating cirumstances and not an actual reflection of your credit worthiness. Deletion is saying 'hey, I messed up, can you help me out' rather than saying 'I don't owe that money.'

"You asked how to get something deleted, I told you I called my collection agency and like all the others in this forum have had success, does not make me dishonest. At least I paid all my debts."

I never said that YOU were dishonest, I said I would feel like I was being dishonest if I disputed a debt that was actually mine. There is no need to get defensive, I was not attacking you.

Why did you reply to this on my new thread instead of the one that we were already talking on?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute "too old to report"
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.