New Visitor
tonya30

Collections

I just recently found out that an account is going to collections.  I call the collections agency and I was told that the account is not open as yet.  Is there anyway that I can keep this collection from appearing on my credit report?
Valued Contributor
TheNewWorldMan

Re: Collections

Call the original creditor and see if you can negotiate a payment plan to keep the account out of collections.
- - - -
in a credit-scoring postnuclear Stone Age...
New Visitor
tonya30

Thanks, but I tried that and the original creditor told me that it was against the law for them to take back an account after they have forwarded it to a collections agency.  I know that this will hurt my score, but I was hoping to get some advice on how I can get around this.
Regular Contributor
loloswims

I had a similar situation where my account was sent a ca and I contacted the oc about a week after.  The oc took the payment and it was not reported to the cb.  I think if an item is sent to a ca and you pay within 30 days they will not report you.  At least that is what happened in my case.
Valued Contributor
Boswd

Not all CA report right away.   so if you are ready to either pay it off or get into a payment plan before they report it you should be fine.

Call the CA soon though before they do.
New Visitor
tonya30

That sounds good.  I will try that. Thx!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}