Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections

tag
Bc12point

Collections

Just a quick question,,,,
I found out that I have a couple of collections ,,, one from an old checking account that was apparently closed with some fees due as well as a bill from a apartment complex that I had absolutely no knowledge of. It is with a CA now. At any rate, they are both about 3 years old and the combined total of both of them is about $500. Will it give me any gain to just pay them? The apartment one I had no idea about and the other was tied to a divorce.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Collections

Paying a collection normally has no impact on your score and if they have not updated in a while could actually cause your score to drop.

If you know they are yours and are legit, I would just ask the CA for a PFD.

Message 2 of 5
Bc12point

The bank one shows as a charge off but updates every month. It's on all three but the one with the CA only shows up on my equifax my fico score.
Message 3 of 5
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

On the apartment collection account I would do a debt validation first to make sure the debt is yours before going further. The checking account try talking to the bank first and explain you were unaware of the problem with the account. (if that is true). Also find out if they have sold the debt to the collection agency or assigned it to the collection agency..

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If, based on your own knowledge, you never lived at/had any business with the apartment complex, I would file an identity theft report, send to the CRA, and get their reporting immediately blocked from your credit report.

A DV would most likely be untimely if they ever sent dunning notice, and even if timely woud neither require their response nor get it removed from your credit report.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.