Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comcast / Eastern Account Systems

tag
brokeincmch

Comcast / Eastern Account Systems

Hello-

I'm thinking that I have a potential serious problem on my hands. I have a mortgage commitment sand I supposed to go to settlement in two weeks. I moved out of my rental and in with the parents back in October during the house buying process. When I moved out I closed my account with Comcast and turned in all of their equipment. (Yes I have a receipt.) Comcast then sent me a bill a couple weeks later for $30 which I totally forgot about. Today (Dec. 12) I received a letter from Eastern Account Systems stating that my Comcast account has been placed with them for collection. Now I am creaking out because I am thinking that taid collection account is on my credit report and bringing my score down. My scores going into this weren't great (650-660) and now I am worried that this could derail my whole home purchase. I immediately calle Comcast and paid the amount due and then asked if this would show up on my credit report. The rep said that she would send me a letter confirming PIF and would copy the CA as well. She said that this *shouldnt* show up on my credit report but I am not sure if I believe her. I also immediately informed my mortgage broker who wasnt concerned because appearent my they only do a "soft pull" to check for new accounts etc. Im just wondering if this could really derail my hone purchase or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill here?

Thanks 

Chris

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Comcast / Eastern Account Systems

It shouldn't be a problem especially if needed you could show underwriting the paid receipt 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Comcast / Eastern Account Systems

Hard to say for sure....

The OC is required to notify their debt collector that the debt has been paid, and the collection is then closed, as there is no more debt.

The debt collector could possibly still report their collection, but in my opinion, its unlikely.  Debt collectors use credit reporting primarily as a collection tool.  Once the debt is paid, that business purpose is no longer present.

However, as insurance,  you can temporarily prevent any possibility of their reporting by quickly sending a DV.

Sending a timely DV invokes an automatic cease collection bar on a debt collector until such time as they have provided the requested debt verification.

That includes reporting of their collection to a CRA.

Since you apparently received dunning notice on Dec. 12, you have 30 days to send a timely DV that will invoke a cease collection bar.  Thus, a DV sent prior to Jan 2 will be timely

Chances are good that they wont respond to the DV request, as they now care less about a cease colection bar, since their collection is already closed.

I would immediately send the following letter to the debt collector:

"This is a request for validation of the debt under FDCPA 809(b).  As part of the requested debt validation, I include a request for verification of the asserted debt,  the name of the original creditor, and an ittemization of the asserted debt."

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.